On Mon, Sep 30, 2013 at 02:30:59PM +1300, LizR wrote:
> On 30 September 2013 14:26, Russell Standish <li...@hpcoders.com.au> wrote:
>

> > I'm complete missing your point here??? The self-other distinction is a
> > 1p thing, not part of physics at all. There are no persons in
> > physics. Even when talking about the self-other distinction in (say)
> > bacteria, it is our modelling that makes the bacteria a distinct
> > system from its environment. Physical interactions reach through the
> > system boundary as though it weren't there.
> >

> it's far more likely that I'm missing the point. Maybe if I try to
> explicate my point, such as it is, it will be more obvious what I'm
> missing...
>
> I can't see how this relates to free will in a way that is different from,
> say, tossing a coin to make decisions. If the point is simply that the
> source of randomness is inside the physical structure involved. rather than
> external, how does that stop it being a "slave to randomness" ? I could
> (poetically) call a geiger counter a slave to randomness even if the
> radioactive source it was measuring happened to be inside it.

A somewhat better analogy might be that the geiger counter was made of
radioactive material, rather than just having some radioactive source
within it.

But neverthesless, geiger counters don't have will, let alone a free
one, nor make self-other distinctions, so I'm not sure how the analogy
is supposed to work.

> Sorry. Obivously I've missed the point big time.

See how you feel after you read Aaronson's treatment of the "gerbil
objection". He puts it quite well there.