On 5 October 2013 06:53, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

He comes to this because he's *defined* "Knightian uncertainty" as radical
> unpredictability without randomness.

I don't see why it doesn't entail randomness, especially if it comes from
quantum fluctuations during the big bang. But even if it doesn't, it still
doesn't seem to me to lead to "free will worth having". The cosmic
background radiation seems more likely to have it (if anything does) than
humans, the latter being made of atoms that have been knocking around on
Earth for billions of years amd surely losing any correlation with "initial
uncertainty" in the process. So does the CMB have more free will than we do?

> I agree that doesn't seem very significant, e.g. in terms of public policy
> for example.   Nietzsche says "free will" is an invention of the priestly
> class in order to justify judgement, guilt, and punishment - all social
> tools.

Good point! I tend to agree with Neitzsche on that one (would you Adam and
Eve it? :)