On 27 Oct 2013, at 15:54, John Clark wrote:

On Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM, Jason Resch <jasonre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I came across this today, which you might find of interest: http://arxiv.org/pdf/quant-ph/9709032v1.pdf In particular section 3 goes to great pains to describe the importance of the first person / third person distinction.

Of course it's important, but I didn't need Bruno's help to figure that out. And I especially agree when is says "To avoid linguistic confusion it is crucial that we distinguish between the outside view of the world [from ] the inside view". Yes, we must avoid linguistic confusion!

It's true that in everyday usage there is no linguistic confusion and it would be silly to keep asking "what do you mean by the pronoun "you?", but this is very far from everyday usage. This is a thought experiment involving identity duplicating machines and is a vital part of a proof that is trying to find something new about the very thing that is being duplicated, identity. Under those very very exotic circumstances the meaning of the personal pronoun "you" is far from obvious. And if the meaning of "you" is vague then the difference between 1p and 3p is vague too, and that is not acceptable in a proof that claims to be mathematically precise.

So when Bruno asks "will you in Helsinki survive the duplication?" or "what city will you see?" it depends entirely on what "you" means. To me, and to Bruno too before he panicked and backpedaled, "you" is the guy(s) who remembers being the Helsinki Man; thus I would answer that yes "you" will survive and "you" will see both Moscow and Washington. And if the ASCII sequence y-o-u means something different in another language then John Clark would answer the questions differently.

I give the two definition of the pronouns used in the reasoning, and often confused by the use of an identical term in natural language, but clearly distinguishes in UDA step 2, and the next one. The 1-you, basically "your" definition, or simply the content of the diary taken by the experiencer with him, and the 3-view, the content of the diary of an external (not entering in the teleportation box).

But you stop the thinking before taking that distinction further into account, and I don't know why.

Bruno

 John K Clark