On 11/25/2013 7:35 PM, LizR wrote:
On 26 November 2013 15:31, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    All things I do.

    So why does purpose presuppose something like God?  In fact I don't see that
    something like God could add or subtract from my purposes - although He
might affect
    my methods and whether or not I realized my purposes.

Because we were talking about the purpose of life, not the purposes of living beings. For life to have a purpose, one must assume that it (or the universe) has been designed to fulfill some function. At least that is what (imho) it would mean for life or the universe to have a purpose.

OK. But in that case I don't see any reason to think 'life' or 'the universe' has any purpose.

The more we learn about the universe the more it seems pointless.
   --- Steven Weinberg