On 11/25/2013 3:59 PM, LizR wrote:
On 26 November 2013 12:32, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com <mailto:stath...@gmail.com>> wrote:

<mailto:stath...@gmail.com>>
    >> On 25 November 2013 12:35:50 am AEDT, Samiya Illias wrote:
    >>
    >> Bruno asks: "Should we search, or not, for a reason behind the physical
    >> reality?"
    >>
    >> We must, otherwise this life itself doesn't make any sense. There has to
    >> be a purpose, and there has to be some sort of an outcome.
    >>
    >> But why can't life lack sense and purpose? What logical or empirical law
    >> would that break?
    >
    > You implicitly are saying:
    >
    > 1) The only and certain purpose is to act according with the laws. So
there
    > is a purpose, although not personal purpose
    > 2)These laws are ultimate causes and conform the matter, make it be, so as
    > such, They are beyond and prior to nature, that is, They are sobrenatural.
    > and
    > 3)All the Laws are known.

    I'm saying that there is no logical reason why there should be any
    purpose to life. What "purpose" means is pretty vague but I take it as
    something over and above your (1). Atheists may find "purpose" in,
    say, living a happy life or contributing to society, but there is no
    logical reason for those things to happen either.

A purpose to life presupposes something like God. Only sentient beings have purposes, at least if the word is being used in its generally accepted sense. Wiktionary gives...

 1. An object <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/object> to be reached
    <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reach>; a target
    <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/target>; an aim
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aim>;
    a goal <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/goal>.
 2. A result that is desired; an intention
<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intention>.
 3. The act of intending <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/intend> to do something;
    resolution <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/resolution>; determination
    <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/determination>.
 4. The subject <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/subject> of discourse
    <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/discourse>; the point at issue
    <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/issue>.
 5. The reason <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/reason> for which something is
done, or
    the reason it is done in a particular way.

All things I do.

So why does purpose presuppose something like God? In fact I don't see that something like God could add or subtract from my purposes - although He might affect my methods and whether or not I realized my purposes.