On 12/2/2013 10:55 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
But I don't think it's so simple as applying Occam's razor. In my example "red" is an experience that from the perspective of conscious thoughts may have no explanation, i.e. is fundamental.

Like the guy in Washington cannot explain why he is the one in Washington. But we can explain why he cannot explain it, and in general we can explain why machines are first person confronted with arithmetical first person truth that they have to feel as fundamental and unexplainable.

But from the perspective of biology has an explanation in terms of physics and chemistry. From an evolutionary perspective it has an explanation in terms of survival advantage. So Occam's razor cuts different ways depending on the perspective.

This is an abstract "base problem", but with comp the points of view don't depend on the choice of base machine, and we can refine the use of Occam razor for each points of view. In fact we can use it only one time, for the Turing universal ontology.

They don't depend on the choice of base machine because you've chosen Turing computation as fundamental. That doesn't show that something else could not have been chosen as fundamental instead.