On 12/10/2013 11:54 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 7:33 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com
<mailto:lizj...@gmail.com>> wrote:

     > One needs a rigorous definition of what consciousness is, to start with,

Examples are usually preferable to definitions.

    > and then a theory that explains all its observed features, and makes
testable
    predictions.

But that's the beauty of consciousness theories, we can detect consciousness only in ourselves so there are no observed features that a consciousness theory must explain,

Actually there are some observed features. A sharp blow to the head can create a gap in ones consciousness. Imbibing various substances that can cross the blood/brain barrier have somewhat predictable effects. Localized electrical stimulation of the brain produces repeatable effects, both in consciousness and somatic.

Brent

and that's why it takes no brains at all to dream one up. Intelligence theories are a entirely different matter, they have to actually explain something and thus are hard as hell and a unpopular subject on the internet.

    > Otherwise all one has is a jumble of words.

Yep, a jumble of words (especially personal pronouns) pretty much sums up consciousness theories.

  John K Clark