Having had a go at following the first paper, I will have to give in and
just accept that lack of dispersion indicates lack of quantum foam.

It seems ironic that quantum theory is supposed to explain what happens at
small scales compared to relativity, but now we have what looks like an
experiment showing that things go back to being relativistic (or at least a
continuum) well below the quantum scale. (Assuming I've understood this at
all...)

I must have a look at the second paper, but I'm not sure I will fare any
better...