On 21 December 2013 13:19, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/20/2013 3:28 PM, LizR wrote:
>  On 21 December 2013 08:12, Stephen Paul King
> <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:
>>  Dear Jason,
>>    I think it was you that wrote (to me):
>> "I was not defending that view, but pointing out how ridiculous it would
>> be to suppose mathematical truth does not exist before it is found by
>> someone somewhere."
>>     I am trying to get some thought going. Why is it so ridiculous,
>> exactly? If there exists a mathematical theorem that requires
>> a countable infinity of integers to represent, no finite version can exist
>> of it, in other words, can its proof be found? What is it that "makes it
>> true"? If we remove the possibility of ever proving a theorem, what is that
>> theorem's possible truth value?
>>  The maths that describes the behaviour of physical systems must be true
> whether anyone knows about it or not, so long as those physical systems
> continue to operate in the same manner. For example the inverse square law
> was true for billions of years before life evolved on Earth, and for
> billions more before Newton discovered it, as can be shown by observing
> distant galaxies.
>  The inverse square law is true in Platonia.  In the real world it's just
> a very good approximation.

Absolutely. I was just using that as a simple example, because we don't
(yet) have a theory of quantum gravity that might be considered a candidate
for a final theory. (If I'd written that 150 years ago it would have been
treated as an accurate example, modulo the undiscovered planet inside
Mercury's orbit).

Still, I'm glad you thnik that it's true in Platonia, which is the point I
was making.