On Fri, Dec 20, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Stephen Paul King <
stephe...@provensecure.com> wrote:

> Dear LizR,
>
>   Is math  "in our heads" or is it somehow "out there". If it is "out
> there" how does it connect to what is in our heads?

Mathematicians simulate other objects and realities using their heads,
computers, or paper, etc. to learn and discover their properties.  This is
no different than some alien who lives in a different universe, simulating
the laws of our own universes, and learning about galaxies, red-shift,
black holes, etc.  These things might have no correlation to anything in
the universe of the alien, but you might rightfully ask "where does the
information about black holes and red-shift come from?", the answer in both
cases is the same: simulation of other mathematical structures.

Jason