On 25 Dec 2013, at 12:39, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

I am sympathetic to your defense of the search for truth. I would differ with you, however, and probably everyone on this list, in stating that science must have a goal. Some Transhumanists are ok with the entire human endeavor turned over to the Machines, and this includes Science. It may be inevitable, in fact. I disagree, and believe that science needs to be harnessed for human betterment (I am sure we all do) and, perhaps, diminishing what some theologians have called, "The Human Condition." I am all for directing some of the scientific search bent towards things that benefit our species, in profound ways.

Everyone, on this mailing list disagrees with me and has no interest or wanting to waste valuable time with such a pursuit. But, as the old English children's' song goes, "The Cheese Stands alone." Apologies, if I am coming across as limburger ;-) Joyes Noel, to all, (Tho' tis' not my faith).

That is very honorable from you. I think that honest research of the truth can help here, but indirectly, perhaps through examples. I think that most human suffering due to humans is a product of moral and altruism: hell is really paved with the good intention.

Comp has some quasi-ethic, like "don't ever do moral" (uncommunicable of course, as it would be a moral)".

Comp might help also, in the sense that if the humans are encouraged to listen to the machines, they will be encouraged to listen to the humans.

Then it can help (or perturb) by making us realize how ignorant we are in the fundamental questions. Science has simply not yet really begun, for a computationalist.

Truth is not enough for the good, but it light be necessary.

Bruno

Mitch
-----Original Message-----
From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wed, Dec 25, 2013 6:14 am
Subject: Re: God or not?

On 24 Dec 2013, at 17:24, spudboy...@aol.com wrote:

My iteration is simply this: How does this help our species, how might this all change the human condition? My interruption in this flow of rational, logical, and analytical reasoning. I am sorry if this offends, but like Dr. Suess's Who's in Whoville, The Horton Hears a Who, and not the Grinch one, I must rudely, ask,, how this could help us?

Science is the search of truth, even if the truth is not helpful.
That is why science needs more courage than anything else. It is a cure of wishful thinking a priori.

The separation of theology from science has abandoned the field to the wishful thinking and its political exploitation by those who want think at our place in the fundamental matter (life and death, and health).

In that sense, coming back to modest scientific interrogative thinking in theology, could help everybody in front of the truth, especially if truth appears to be not as friendly as we would have liked.

Bruno

Us, the pitiful, violent, human species. God, Mind, Consciousness, and all that? It needs to be asked, although, yes, some efforts are purely intellectual. I always home in, the Existential.

Sincerely,

Mitch