On 29 Dec 2013, at 02:26, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

Stephen,

In a sense that's correct, they are actions and the actions are the computations, but they aren't physical, at least in the usual sense.

Computations are not physical. I agree. They are arithmetical notion.

But I can't understand what is meant by "actions" are computation, or "reality" computes, etc.

I have the feeling that you are using the term "computation" in some non standard sense.

This is closely related to the idea that 'everything is its information only' which I cover in Part V of my book. We could equally say that 'everything is its computation only, and the computation is the thing'.

I have no problem with that, it's a good way to express it.....

I am not sure. Stephen has already defended the idea that a physical object simulates itself, based on a similar confusion. That does not make sense if we use the terms computation or emulations (exact simulations) with their standard definition in math.

The notion of physical computation is worse. It is easy to believe that it exists, like physical computer and brains exist, but it is a hell of a difficulty to define them, and even more so if we want physical computation to be defined without using the mathematical notion of computation.

Bruno

Edgar