On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 8:35 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 January 2014 14:31, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> Then I'll start by saying I don't reject MWI, I just have reservations
>> about it, not so much that it's wrong, but that it doesn't really solve the
>> problems it claims to - which implies criticism of the position that MWI
>> has solved all the problems of interpreting QM.  A lot of the above claimed
>> advantages knocking down straw men built on naive interpretations of Bohr.
>> Some are just assumptions, e.g that physics must be time reversible and
>> linear.
>>
>> I thought linearit was probabilities adding up to one, which isn't a
> radical assumption???

I think you might be thinking of unitary vs. non-unitary:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unitarity_(physics)

> Time reversibility is an observed phenomenon in (almost) all particle
> interactions, so surely not an assumption at all?

I agree, things like CPT symmetry, determinism, etc. aren't just
assumptions, but underlie every other known physical law that is known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPT_symmetry
The *CPT theorem* says that CPT symmetry holds for all physical phenomena,
or more precisely, that any Lorentz
invariant<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_invariant>
 local quantum field
theory<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_field_theory> with
a Hermitian <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-adjoint_operator>
Hamiltonian<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamiltonian_(quantum_mechanics)>
must
have CPT symmetry.

Collapse of the wave function would be the only phenomenon in quantum
mechanics that is non-unitary, non-linear, non-differentiable, and
discontinuous. It would also be the only principle in physics that
non-local, non-causal, non-deterministic, and violates special relativity.

I can understand that Brent's ambivalence toward MWI, it may not be the
final answer, but I think it is a good step in that direction. However, I
am surprised that anyone well-versed in the known physics of today, could
consider collapse as anything but a wild, unsupported, and
almost-certainly-false conjecture. There is so much well-established
physics that must be given up; for apparently no other reason than the
ontological prejudice some harbor for the idea that the universe is no
bigger than we previously thought.

Jason