On 01 Jan 2014, at 21:30, meekerdb wrote:

On 1/1/2014 3:49 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Because all correct machine, cognitively rich enough (= believing in numbers and induction, or being Löbian, ...) when they look inward, discover the gap between G and G*, or the gap between truth about them and proof about them.

As an analysis of human pyschology that seems very fanicful to me. People invented gods long before Peano and Godel and even before the idea of mathematical proof. Gods were just anthropomorphized physics; things did what they did because "it was their nature".

I agree. The religious feeling appears when we are ignorant. Since always, some machine can introspect and discover the root of the intrinsic ignorance, and since Gödel & Al. we know that PA and ZF can do that, at least in some sense. Now, thunder can be very impressive, and it is normal that humans mix their feeling about that intrinsic ignorance and the one which today appears to us as more mundane and easily explainable from our current knowledge. But introspection still leads us to what we can't ever understand, and to that root of intrinsic ignorance about something transcendentally bigger than us. Institutionalized religion tries to hide that self-discovery for question of manipulation and control.