On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 11:57 AM, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> an experiment has been proposed that tests Wheeler's theory
> http://arxiv.org/abs/1111.3328

The Pusey, Barrett, Rudolph paper (PBR)  never mentions Wheeler and it only
deals with realistic theories, Wheeler's is non-realistic. PBR says that if
the quantum state of something is not real and just represents what a
observer can know about it "then experimental predictions are obtained
which contradict those of quantum theory".

This is interesting however to derive it they have to assume realism:

"The argument depends on a few assumptions. One is that a system has a
"real physical state" not necessarily completely described by quantum
theory, but objective and independent of the observer."

PBR assumes realism but Wheeler does not; in Wheeler's theory nothing is
independent of the observer, and even the PBR paper admits:

"this assumption would be denied by instrumentalist approaches to quantum
theory, wherein the quantum stateis is merely a calculational tool for
making predictions concerning macroscopic measurement outcomes."

> It seems to me that Wheeler's ideas are consistent with MWI

I don't see how 2 interpretations of quantum mechanics could be more
inconsistent, they are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

> So you agree with me.

Apparently not.

  John K Clark