On 04 Jan 2014, at 17:47, John Clark wrote:

On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com> wrote:

> According to Wheeler's empirical quantum model, (where the properties of a particle vanish in between observations

Yes that's Wheeler's theory, it's the stereotypical non-realistic interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, unlike MWI which is realistic. Bell didn't use Quantum Mechanics or physics of any sort and yet starting from nothing but logic and high school algebra he was able to prove that IF his inequality was violated THEN no correct theory can be BOTH realistic AND local.

Bell assumes a mono-world (or the unicity of outcome).

Several years after he found the mathematical derivation experiment showed that Bell's inequality was indeed violated. So a Wheeler theorists is free to invoke locality or non-locality as he wishes; but because MWI is a realistic theory a MWI theorist is in a much tighter box, if things are local then there is no appeal, MWI is dead dead dead.

Show this.

> MWI experiments require that some observers ask different questions and thereby obtain multiple spacetimes.

If MWI is correct and a experimenter wishes to know what thread of the Multiverse he's in then of course questions must be asked and answered; but if Wheeler is correct then those very questions change reality itself. To my mind Wheeler's idea is even crazier than MWI, but that doesn't prove it wrong.

Wheeler defended MWI, then opposed it, and then seems to have come back to it (as suggested by his paper with Tegmark).