On 1/4/2014 8:47 AM, John Clark wrote:
On Fri, Jan 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM, Richard Ruquist <yann...@gmail.com <mailto:yann...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    > According to Wheeler's empirical quantum model, (where the properties of a
    particle vanish in between observations

Yes that's Wheeler's theory, it's the stereotypical non-realistic interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, unlike MWI which is realistic. Bell didn't use Quantum Mechanics or physics of any sort and yet starting from nothing but logic and high school algebra he was able to prove that IF his inequality was violated THEN no correct theory can be BOTH realistic AND local.

His inequality also depended on discounting retro-causation and hyper-determinism, which Bell considered but rejected as unbelievable. Now both have been seriously proposed: the former by Cramer and Stenger, the latter by t'Hooft.

Brent

Several years after he found the mathematical derivation experiment showed that Bell's inequality was indeed violated. So a Wheeler theorists is free to invoke locality or non-locality as he wishes; but because MWI is a realistic theory a MWI theorist is in a much tighter box, if things are local then there is no appeal, MWI is dead dead dead.

    > MWI experiments require that some observers ask different questions and
thereby
    obtain multiple spacetimes.

If MWI is correct and a experimenter wishes to know what thread of the Multiverse he's in then of course questions must be asked and answered; but if Wheeler is correct then those very questions change reality itself. To my mind Wheeler's idea is even crazier than MWI, but that doesn't prove it wrong.

  John K Clark