Dear LizR,

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 7:12 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 January 2014 13:04, Stephen Paul King <stephe...@provensecure.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear LizR,
>>
>>   What would happen is mathematics did not amazingly match up with the
>> patterns of phenomena of the physical world? Think about it. We expect a
>> model of a system to match that system as best possible, so what is magical
>> about symbolic representational systems that obey rules?
>>

> The "magical thing" is that it isn't a model of the real world, but
> nevertheless, models of the real world can be built using it.

Umm, I was not complaining that math isn't a "model of the real world" -
the one we can measure and communicate about, it is that we seem surprised
that mathematical models created to explain some phenomena can almost
always be extended beyond what is obvious in the data to make predictions
of what we have not even looked at before. Dirac's prediction of positrons
from the behavior of wave functions that obey SR come to mind.
   Why are we surprised that Nature is not a chaotic mess and has patterns
and so forth that can be represented with symbols and rules to manipulate
them. We are surprised when we see strange patterns emerge in Game of Life
cellular automata. Why? I don't get the "surprise". Maybe I am just
weird...

>>    I somehow miss the amazement. Maybe because I have to actually study
>> and understand the most arcane math ever imagined...
>>

> I can see that would help.
>

>> Try this!
>> http://www.futuretg.com/FTHumanEvolutionCourse/FTFreeLearningKits/01-MA-Mathematics,%20Economics%20and%20Preparation%20for%20University/001-MA01-HI00-High%20School%20Mathematics,%20Preparation%20and%20Recreational%20Science/13%20-%20Recreational%20Science/D.E.Littlewood%20-%20The%20Skeleton%20Key%20of%20Mathematics%5BHarper,%20136p%5D.pdf
>>
>> I don't have time to read books very often. If you can give some examples
> that illustrate your point, that would be helpful.

 NO NO! I didn't mean: "Here read this!" I meant, "jeez, look at the title
of this book, WTF is that!"  I have to study this and understand it.
Homework.

>  --

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King