Dear LizR,

  What would happen is mathematics did not amazingly match up with the
patterns of phenomena of the physical world? Think about it. We expect a
model of a system to match that system as best possible, so what is magical
about symbolic representational systems that obey rules?
  I somehow miss the amazement. Maybe because I have to actually study and
understand the most arcane math ever imagined...

Try this!
http://www.futuretg.com/FTHumanEvolutionCourse/FTFreeLearningKits/01-MA-Mathematics,%20Economics%20and%20Preparation%20for%20University/001-MA01-HI00-High%20School%20Mathematics,%20Preparation%20and%20Recreational%20Science/13%20-%20Recreational%20Science/D.E.Littlewood%20-%20The%20Skeleton%20Key%20of%20Mathematics%5BHarper,%20136p%5D.pdf

Fun! :-)

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 6:06 PM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 14 January 2014 11:29, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>>  On 1/13/2014 1:29 PM, LizR wrote:
>>
>>  On 14 January 2014 10:17, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
>>
>>>  On 1/13/2014 10:54 AM, L.W. Sterritt wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn’t this just the reification fallacy?  From Wikipedia:
>>>  Reification (also known as concretism, or the fallacy of misplaced
>>> concreteness) is a fallacy of ambiguity, when
>>> an abstraction (abstract belief or hypothetical construct) is treated as if
>>> it were a concrete, real event, or physical entity. In other words, it is
>>> the error of treating as a concrete thing something which is not concrete,
>>> but merely an idea.
>>>

>>>  Like reifying arithmetic.
>>>

>>  I do indeed!
>>
>> :-)
>>
>> Fallaciously?  ;-)
>>

> Quite possibly, of course! But in my humble opinion, Max Tegmark and Bruno
> and Eugene Wigner (and Galileo, Gauss, Einstein etc) do have a point, that
> maths does seem to "kick back" and to be "unreasonably effective", and I
> think that it's worth thinking about why that is, even if it leads us into
> what may be wild flights of fancy  ... just in case they turn out not to be.
>

>> In your model of the world, with chairs and tables and planets and
>> people, where is the number 2?
>>
>> It's part of an explanation of where the chairs and tables etc come from.
>
> (Perhaps!)
>
>  --

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King