On 13 Jan 2014, at 19:05, Edgar L. Owen wrote:

Jason,

We cannot keep adding 1 forever to get an infinity. The universe where addition is possible is only 13.7 billion years old.

So you assume the usual physical universe? Your "comp space" (which I have still no clue at all of it consists) is born 13,7 billion years ago?

Not quite old enough to get to infinity! This applies all the types of infinity you mention.

Comp does not need actual infinities, but it still needs the potential infinity of all finite things (integers, or something).

But finitist physicalism is indeed a way out of comp. But then your theory is non-computationalist. Do you say "no" to the doctor. You have already answer "no", and later "yes", so I am not sure. Which is it?

The universe (extended quantum vacuum)

So you assume quantum mechanics?

has always existed but there was no clock time so there is no measure of the duration of its existence so it has not existed forever nor is it infinitely old. These are human concepts which do not apply. Time was not 'flowing' prior to the big bang.

So you assume the big bang theory?

I was trying to keep things simple but it is certainly possible to have big bounces. I posted a possible theory on that and entropy and gravitational reversal a couple of days ago in detail. Did you see that? I certainly don't rule out a bouncing universe.

The computational universe is created by an actualization event in the generalized quantum vacuum. Perhaps a bounce, perhaps something else.

Why would we need that?
To define computation, you need at least the little arithmetical "platonia", but then you have already a computational space (as arithmetic *is* a computational space, and is bigger than it).

A good analogy is a perfectly still ocean of water. It is originally formless but forms can arise within it. The nature of the water is what determines what forms can arise within that ocean. Likewise OE (the generalized quantum vacuum) was originally formless but its intrinsic nature determines what information forms can actualize and arise and exist within it.

The quantum vacuum does that. No need to generalize it. Now, you theory looks like just QM.

In the original formless ocean nothing happens so there can be no observations therefore it is impossible to even confirm its existence. However once things start happening it becomes observable and one can measure it and confirm its existence.

Things must be observable to properly be considered real and actual...

So your original formless ocean is not real?