On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 09:46:11AM +0100, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2014, at 22:41, Russell Standish wrote:

> >think we should keep all options on the table, and look for
> >connections between them, as different techniques will provide those
> >derivations more easily or more difficult.
>
> Keep in mind that the goal is not "doing physics", but solving the
> mind-body problem (the hard problem of matter, and of
> consciousness).

I thought the goal was figure out where physical law comes from.

> >Think about the effect of
> >the AdS correspondence with string theory.
>
> AdS correspondence?

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AdS/CFT_correspondence for details,
but the point is that there are two distinct physical theories,
related by a duality, that are tractable in different domains, so
solution to one theory can be used to inform the other in domains it
is not tractable.