Another take is : http://arxiv.org/abs/physics/0403031

Deriving laws from ordering relations
Kevin H. Knuth <http://arxiv.org/find/physics/1/au:+Knuth_K/0/1/0/all/0/1>
(Submitted on 3 Mar 2004)

The effect of Richard T. Cox's contribution to probability theory was to
generalize Boolean implication among logical statements to degrees of
implication, which are manipulated using rules derived from consistency
with Boolean algebra. These rules are known as the sum rule, the product
rule and Bayes' Theorem, and the measure resulting from this generalization
is probability. In this paper, I will describe how Cox's technique can be
further generalized to include other algebras and hence other problems in
science and mathematics. The result is a methodology that can be used to
generalize an algebra to a calculus by relying on consistency with order
theory to derive the laws of the calculus. My goals are to clear up the
mysteries as to why the same basic structure found in probability theory
appears in other contexts, to better understand the foundations of
probability theory, and to extend these ideas to other areas by developing
new mathematics and new physics. The relevance of this methodology will be
demonstrated using examples from probability theory, number theory,
geometry, information theory, and quantum mechanics.

--

Kindest Regards,

Stephen Paul King

Senior Researcher