On 16 Feb 2014, at 19:10, meekerdb wrote:

On 2/16/2014 2:15 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
But of course if you're trying to ascertain the nature of personal identity none of this matters, it doesn't matter if the predictions were correct or not.

We are not trying to ascertain the nature of personal identity at all. I can be amnesic on who I am for example. the question is about the expectation of some unique 1p experience I will live soon. By comp I know that it must be W, or M, but not both, nor none.

But that's the ambiguity I see. When you ask the H-man, "Where do you think you will be?"

The H-man has a diary. He must predict what will happen from his first person experience, when he pushes on the button, and then open a door. He must write the result, which can only be "W", or "M", but not both, in his diary, and compare that result with the prediction.

See my last reply to John Clark.

There is no ambiguity, you need only distinguish carefully the 3p description, from the 1p experiences.

he has to provide some interpretation to the word "you". My immediate, intuitive thought was, "I expect to be in both places."

That is the 3-1 view. You go out of your body, and you look at you reconstituted in both place. That is the correct 3-1 view indeed. yet, to answer the question asked, you need to reintegrate the body, and as it has been duplicated, you need to dovetail a little bit on the two 1-views itself. And in this case, both can see that "both city" was wrong, as both can see they are in only one city.

  Which depends on what is meant by "I".

You might reread the thread, or just the paper. The 1-I, or 1-view, or 1p view, is the content of the personal diary taken by the experiencer, and the 3-view are view by outsider, which means here that they are not entering in the duplication boxes.

If "I" is just conscious experience then there are two "I"s and neither is the H-man because they're not experiencing Helsinki. So "I" must be experiences and memory.

For UDA, even just the memory is enough, and the honesty in the confirmation and refutation game, also.

Then the M-man and the W-man are both "I" the H-man, in which case the H-man should answer "Both".

Again, that is the correct 3-1 view. But the question is asked on the 1-1 views, which are the 1-views.

The reason why I insist in that 1p/3p distinction is to avoid any ambiguity. In the 3p you are all of them, in the 1-p you remain always only one of them. (them = the relative copies).

Again see my last post to John Clark.