From: Jesse Mazer <laserma...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Fri, Mar 21, 2014 11:49 am
Subject: Re: The situation at Fukushima appears to be deteriorating

On Fri, Mar 21, 2014 at 7:20 AM, Edgar L. Owen <edgaro...@att.net> wrote:

Spud,

But reducing human overpopulation IS the main problem facing the planet, the
ecosystem, and the human species itself.

Assuming that increasing technology will somehow solve the problem is, I fear,
naive. It is precisely the use of more and more powerful technology that has
resulted in the exponential destruction of the environment by the exponentially
increasing number of humans.

So it's not better technology we need, but the wisdom to use it sustainably....

Edgar

Most demographers project that the population will level off at around 10
billion, because of various trends that tend to reduce the number of children
like populations becoming more urban and women being more educated--see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_population#Projections for some info. Of
course predicting human behavior is never purely scientific and there are some
who think this projection is too optimistic, see
http://e360.yale.edu/feature/what_if_experts_are_wrong_on_world_population_growth/2444/

Jesse