On 23 June 2014 06:24, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> On 22 Jun 2014, at 19:49, John Clark wrote:
>
> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 7:15 AM, LizR <lizj...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>  >>  the probability that Mr. He will see Moscow is 1.0 not 0.5 as Bruno
>>> says.
>>>

>> > I agree,
>>

> Good.
>
>  > but
>>

> But? There is no "but", Bruno predicted 0.5, we observe 1.0, game over.
>
> OK. That would be a good exercise for Liz. Showing that there is a 1-3
> confusion here (is it volontarily?).

Well, I have experienced this confusion myself when I think too hard about
comp or the MWI. In both cases I "know" that I will experience all possible
futures, in the sense that someone who is (in the jargon) fungible with me
will experience them all. But I can't help myself thinking as though I will
only experience one of them. When I look up the weather for tomorrow
on-line, I plan to wear a raincoat and carry an umbrella (say - especially
at this time of year) even though I know the met office is only giving me
one of any number of futures, all equally real - freak sunshine, comets,
cloudy with meatballs...

> I predict only "0.5" in most diaries.  The prediction is about the first
> person experience, as seen from the first person themselves, which are the
> one writing either M, or W, and never both in their histories. Bruno
> predicts 1.0 only in the 3p-diary.

If I knew for a fact that I was going through a duplicator, I might well
put 1.0 in my diary, because I would know and accept what the "3p"
situation was. But retrospectively, I would say, "well, it seems I ended up
in Moscow!" - as though there was a 0.5 chance that I would find myself
here, being me, now, rather than over in W being the other me...

However this is all psychological, if I know the situation then it's merely
my inability to think 3p-aly, to misquote "Back to the furture", that would
make me think the chance was 0.5. In practice there is a 100% chance of me
seeing both places, if I define "me" as me-before in that statement,
because me-before ends up in both places, at least for a split second
(before the copies diverge). But I have to admit that me-before will not
see them both at the same time, or with the same eyes!

(At this point I have to take my medicine and lie down in a dark room for a
while...)