On 23 Jun 2014, at 18:17, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> there is a 1-3 confusion here (is it volontarily?).

Oh yes, I always voluntarily strive to be confused because when one is presented with nonsense the only logical response is confusion.

> I predict only "0.5" in most diaries.

Predictions are great for validating scientific theories but predictions, good bad or ugly, have absolutely nothing to do with establishing a sense of self.

We use the usual sense of self defined by the "yes doctor". It is equivalent with Parfit person-series. It is what you need to make sense of "surviving" any experience or happening.

And not that it matters but even your prediction is wrong; each and every time you repeat your experiment Mr. You sees Moscow, not half the time, ALWAYS.

Just iterate the experiences. Once done the W-guy admits seeing only W and not M, and the M-guy admits having seen M, and not W. They wrote each a different letter than the doppelganger.

If you iterate the experiences 10 times, only one guy among the 2^10 one will say that has the story "MMMMMMMMMM".

From their first person point of view, the 2^10 - 1 others knows you were wrong (although trivially correct for the 3-view on the 1-views, but false for the 1-views as see from that 1-view.

> The prediction is about the first person experience,

The?

> as seen from the first person

The? Are you talking about the first person in Helsinki, the first person in Moscow or the first person in Washington?

The prediction is done by the first person in Helsinki, before the duplication. You keep asking me this, when this is made clear in the paper, in the post, etc.

>which are the one writing either M, or W,

And neither Mr. M or Mr. W or Mr. H or even Mr. You sees half a city.

Exactly. That is why they each write W, or they write M, and never both, after one duplication.

> and never both in their histories.

It's true that Mr. M doesn't see both cities, and Mr. W doesn't see both cities, but Mr. You does.

In the 3p views, but as I said and explain with the diary, only mr M and mr W are interviewed.

Mister You can see both, in his imagination, like he can imagine the universal wave (which multiply him) and like we can conceive all computational histories.

> You put your foot out of the shoes after the duplication.

How on earth do I do that? Do you think that when I arrive in Washington (and Moscow) I can just say to myself "I am no longer Mr. I " with such intensity that I actually believe it ? It simply can't be done.

But that is what make my point. You feel to be one in one city, and still be the guy you were in Helsinki. You write W, *or* M in your diary.

In the 3-view of yourself, you can say that (the W-guy write M *and the M-guy write W), that's correct, but the statistics concerned the person view, and none write "I see W and I see M" in the diary, as it is asked to use "see" in the first person sense.

You repeat your old "refutation" in which you confuse the 1-views and the 3-view on the 1-views at the last step.

> Both the W-guy and the M-guy get one bit of information

You can't make use of probabilities if you only have one bit of information to work with; the 2 slit experiment would tell you nothing if the only information you had is what happened when one lonely photon went through; you've got to send lots and lots of photons through the slits to learn anything, and the same is true of your thought experiment, it must be repeated many times. And no matter how often it's repeated Mr. You sees Washington AND Mr. You sees Moscow.

Never simultaneously from their first person view, which is what both comp and Everett QM are about.

I don't know if it is bad faith, or why you systematically forget what the question was about. The question bears clearly on the relative histories. You say "always M", what about the guy who see "always W"?

Bruno

  John K Clark