On 27 July 2014 16:15, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

This tacit supernumerary assumption is what may
make it seem plausible that there is no need of a knower for such a
distinction to be relevant (i.e. that realism about Deep Blue is
justified in the absence of any possible knower).

I can make sense of this. Yet, in the TOE extracted from comp, we can
forget such a knower, as we don't really need to know if P or ~P is true,
just that it is true independently of us (little ego). But any epistemic
view on such a P requires a knower. It is an open question to me if it
makes sense to say that the ultimate truth (arithmetical truth) is really a
knower or not.

I realise that I'm pushing rather hard on my intuition here, so I don't
insist, but I think whenever one talks about "true independently of the
little ego" one is tacitly relying on a "default knower" to take up the
strain. Consequently we cannot escape the "epistemic view", even if that
view is (tacitly) that of God who sees and inteprets everything "on our
behalf". Would it still mean anything to say that P is true or not true
independent of God's view on the matter? Perhaps it is only in some sense
like this that the ultimate or (assuming comp) arithmetical truth is a
knower.

I think I see it well now. I intuit something similar, and even something
stronger (coming from salvia), which I can feel as making comp wrong, ...
but I think that is still only in some 1p view. This is going in the
direction that the real knower *is* arithmetical 1p-truth, the "p" in []p &
p, and that the body or representation, or belief, []p is filtering
consciousness.
If this is true, there should be account of people saying that they felt
being "more conscious" when some part of the brain is destroyed, or made
non-functional, and that seems to be the case, both with dissociative
drugs, but also with people lacking the hypo-campus: they definitely feel
something more in the form of a perpetual presence. Brains do not produce
consciousness, it would reduce consciousness, by filtering it through the
differentiation of histories. Dying (with amnesia) would become a platonist
remembering of our universal consciousness. The two way road between Earth
and Heaven would be amnesia, in both direction, like salvia suggests.

Interesting. Have you read My Stroke of Insight, by Jill Bolte Taylor? She
is a neuro-scientist who suffered a massive stroke due to the bursting of
an aneurysm in her left hemisphere (from which she fortunately ultimately
recovered). In her memoir she describes the changes in consciousness that
occurred in the immediate aftermath of the almost complete shut-down of her
left hemisphere. Of course there were major losses to specific functions
(especially language) but what was fascinating was that there was also what
one could only describe as a concomitant expansion in her degree of
consciousness. It was indeed as if her left hemispherical function had been
a filter through which her stream of consciousness had been narrowed.

Of course it's a very long way from this to any idea that a brain is not
required for consciousness and indeed her own view, as a neuroscientist,
was that her altered experience was a result of the relative disinhibition
of her right hemisphere. After all, her experience tended to re-normalise
as her left hemisphere recovered its function, although some aspects of the
altered state have subsequently remained with her. Perhaps one could take
the view that even if no *particular* brain is required to manifest a
person in a reality, such manifestation will always be in terms of *some*
brain or other. This would be a bit like Hoyle's universal person, whose
multifarious personas and memories are partitioned by the mutually amnesic
relation between its different brains. For such a "person", dying is merely
a particular case of the general phenomenon of forgetting one reality the
better to recollect another. Could one identify such a universal person
with the p of arithmetical truth? And why do you think that such an
identification might imply that comp was wrong?

But you may be right, as God changed his mind, and sent a cop at my home at
3 o'clock in the morning, with my bag, and everything in it (including also
some cannabis and salvia!). Quite efficacious the police here, very gentle
too.

Yes, that's cool :)

Wow.

David