On Saturday, July 19, 2014 11:26:13 PM UTC-4, Kim Jones wrote:

> A good thinking habit to cultivate is simplicity. Try and make it as
> simple as you can.
>
> Consciousness comes in two flavours (that I know of):
>
> 1. I know
>
> 2. I know that I know. (Presumably something to do with remembering that
> you knew.)
>
> Are there any others?

I don't think that consciousness has anything to do with knowing, or nested
knowing, or self awareness. Consciousness is about one thing: Direct
perceptual participation. If there is a feeling of warmth or pain - there
is no knowledge that is required, no self-modeling...only the raw
appreciation of an aesthetic quality. Most of us are conflate the
particulars of human consciousness, which is an almost perversely elaborate
evolution of consciousness, and the fundamental nature of awareness itself.
In human consciousness, we have layers upon layers of sensation, feeling,
thought, and intuition which refer to each other coextensively and
dynamically.

*We* have an intellectual scope of sensitivity within our consciousness
which can analyze and propose concepts and distinctions. That is the level
of symbolic manipulation, language, mathematics, etc, but that is not the
level which allows us to see the sun or pick up a stone. To be unconscious
is not merely to lose the faculties which make our quality of life human,
but to lose all faculties. It is only the the human intellect which
imagines that its native level of mechanical equivalences are synonymous
with awareness itself.

Craig