On 18 October 2014 14:22, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:

Weak emergence of consciousness. The emergent phenomenon is
> distinguishable from the physical processes constituting it in the way
> any system is distinguishable from its parts, while still being
> fundamentally nothing more than its parts.

A system can be distinguished from its parts, in the sense you seem to
intend, only in terms of some point of view that makes such distinctions
relevant. The trouble is that if we attempt to apply this analysis to
consciousness, what we get is a point of view that "emerges" from its
constituent parts only retroactively, in terms of itself. Doesn't this seem
rather circular?

David