From: Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sun, Oct 19, 2014 12:19 pm
Subject: Re: Are We Really Conscious? (NYT Article today)

On 18 Oct 2014, at 17:00, spudboy100 via Everything List wrote:

Moreover, can consciousness be copied? Can we be duplicated mentally and how
well can we. If, consciousness is a substance, as Tegmark asserts, then the
pattern can be copied, right?

If consciousness is a quantum substance, integrally, then it cannot be cloned.

But then also, computationalism is false. Computationalism is that
consciousness can be duplicated in the 3-1 view, like in the WM-duplication
experiment. Consciousness cannot be duplicated in the 1-view, though, that is
why there is a first person indeterminacy to begin with. But it is only
relative (like in QM, actually).

But then, assuming comp, we have also that the physical substance, the apparent
primitive matter cannot be cloned, as it is a sum of infinities. This must be
weakened by the renormalization needed to hunt the white rabbit away, and which
is already consistent with the observable-logic extracted from classical comp
(comp + Theaetetus).

Keep in mind that once we assume computationalism, we cannot refer to the
current physics in the argument, for logical reason. that elimiantes
consciousness with or without saying. With computationalism, it is also
equivalent with using God in a scientific explanation in theology. We can't do
that, independently of the existence of god or not, or here of the physical
universe or not.

Bruno