On 16 Feb 2015, at 19:29, meekerdb wrote:

On 2/16/2015 1:26 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
OUR faith? stories for the believers to sooth their mind.

Possible, but this does not entail that the faith has no object. Again, with computationalism, faith is "meta-justified" by the fact that all (Löbian) machines cannot avoid the discovery that truth, if it exists, extends vastly what they can justify or explain. It is a faith in some truth, and then some people fill it with legend and fairy tales, which is perhaps a not bad beginning, unless they fall in the trap of literalism, which can transform an inspiring guide into an obstacle for the approach toward truth.

I don't know why you refer to it as faith.

I use "faith" for when we believe something without proof, like the belief in axioms, or in undecidable (for me) propositions.

It is provable that there are true but unprovable propositions in arithmetic.

For each machine. But different machine can have different undecidable propositions. Provability is a relative notion (contrarily to computability).

  The faith step is assuming arithmetic.

Yes, ... in assuming some axioms. We might distinguish the faith needed for the axioms, and the faith in self-consistency needed to give some sense (model, interpretation) of the axioms. It is eventually the difference between G and G*, or any []-logic and its []* logic. Basically faith is belief/assumption without communicable evidence, proof or argument, like the faith in the existence of primary matter, or of any all-encompassing ontology.