On 01 Apr 2015, at 21:18, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Wednesday, 1 April 2015, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 31 Mar 2015, at 17:48, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Wednesday, April 1, 2015, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 30 Mar 2015, at 22:28, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

On Tuesday, March 31, 2015, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 30 Mar 2015, at 10:06, LizR wrote:

On 30 March 2015 at 19:26, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com> wrote:
Fading qualia in the setting of normal behaviour, if logically
possible, would destroy the common idea of consciousness that we have. It would mean, for example, that you could have gone blind last week
but not realise it. You would look at a painting, describe the
painting, have an emotional response to the painting - but lack any
visual experience of the painting. If that is possible, what meaning
is left to attribute to the word "qualia"?

Well, it would mean that comp is false, because the electronic replacements are not generating any conscious experience despite having their I/O matched to the rest of the brain.

Yes, there would be p-zombies. Behaving like conscious person, but without any private knowledge, qualia, sensation or consciousness.

And there would also be the possibility of partial p-zombies, which would mean that private knowledge, qualia, sensation and consciousness make no subjective difference, or equivalently that they don't exist.

Yes, and this eventually show that we can believe in non- computationalism if we are ready to believe in zombies, and partial zombies.

Bruno

Did you survive with the artificial brain? "Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ... Oh, yes, no doubt about that, I feel no difference ... cling ...

A partial zombie would mean that you do feel different but you don't notice that you feel different. This applies not only to a difference you might conceivably not notice, like colour reversal, but to a gross sensory or cognitive deficit, such as going completely blind or losing the ability to understand language. It seems to me that if you allow that such things can happen without you or anyone else noticing then the whole idea of consciousness is spurious.

I think we agree on this. I have to think more if that can lead to a proof of computationalism, due to possible agnosologia (if that term is correct). I can imagine someone feeling less conscious, but losing all memories of having been more conscious, so that he does not feel the difference (like people becoming blind, but not noticing it). I am just the advocate of the devil, here.

Anosognosia is the inability to recognise when you have an illness or a disability, usually in the context of neurological or psychiatric disorders. This differs from being a zombie in that behaviour is affected: if the patient suffers from cortical blindness with anosognosia, they are unable to recognise what is in front of them and walk into things. In addition, they not only have the deficit of lacking qualia, they have a specific delusional belief which cannot be shifted despite any evidence they might be presented with.

You are right about anosognosia. But my point is that anosognosia might make conceivable partial zombiness, and thus comp or your functionalism false. Again, I agree that it would make consciousness spurious, but that is something to be expected from a computationalist believing in primitive matter. I just try to put myself in the mind of those people believing in both matter and mechanism.

Stathis Papaioannou