Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 13 May 2015, at 06:28, Russell Standish wrote:

In which case their consciousness supervenes on their simulated
physics.

Simulated beings could be conscious with their simulated brains in arithmetic.

This is still physical supervenience,

yes, even when the brains are simulated in arithmetic, as to get the right measure, that simulation will have to have the right relative measure.

of the sort Bruce was
talking about.

I think he was using primitive-physical supervenience.

I think this is where you misunderstand me, Bruno. You are ascribing to me a particular metaphysical position to which I do not necessarily subscribe. As has been said a few times, the basic ontology of physics is whatever our best physical theories tell us it is. This is not generally "primitive matter", whatever that is.

In my criticism of the MGA, I am not committed to any particular ontology. I am simply pointing to the fact that the physical world exists independently of you or me, just as 2+2=4 exists independently of you or me. Our physical brains are part of this physical world, whether the basic ontology be quarks and electrons, quantum fields, or computations in Platonia. And our consciousness supervenes on these physical brains, however constituted -- the overwhelming weight of neurophysiological and other scientific evidence shows this.

As published, the MGA shows that *any* physical supervenience entails that replacing the brain by a recording of its activity will recreate the original conscious state. This is claimed to be absurd, since a recording does not consist of a computation of the kind required by comp, which says that a recording cannot be conscious. So you claim that there is a contradiction between physical supervenience and comp.

But the physical brain on which consciousness supervenes might well be itself a product of comp (and is, if you take the robust UD seriously). So you have shown that, either your whole theory is internally inconsistent, or else you have to abandon the supervenience of consciousness on brain goo, in contradiction to the empirical evidence.

If you allow that the recording can be conscious, then the MGA is toothless -- is does not accomplish anything. But in allowing a recording to be conscious, you have contradicted what I take to be one of your basic tenets of comp.

So comp is either false or it is incoherent.

Bruce