From: John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com>
To: everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Sat, Jun 27, 2015 12:20 pm
Subject: Re: A riddle for John Clark

   On Fri, Jun 26, 2015  spudboy100 via Everything List
<everything-list@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> But surely phenomena in quantum physics and Conways Life are random, but
> computable?

Conway's Life is computable but not predictable, there is no shortcut so the
only way to know what it will do is watch the program run and see; however
Conway's Life is not random either.
   ​ ​    Life is computable because there is always something (the previous
generational life pattern) that if inputted into a computer running the Life
program will cause the computer to output the next generation Life pattern. But
a event is random if and only if it is a event without a cause, so if something
is computable it can not be random. There is no law of logic that demands every
event must have a cause and in the 20th century some events in physics were
discovered that had no cause, in other words were random.

   ​  John K Clark​