On 11 Sep 2016, at 20:48, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:

On Sunday, September 11, 2016 at 12:02:03 PM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 10 Sep 2016, at 19:43, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Saturday, September 10, 2016 at 1:45:56 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 09 Sep 2016, at 19:14, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 10:38:55 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 09 Sep 2016, at 16:08, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Friday, September 9, 2016 at 7:56:27 AM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:

On Fri, Sep 9, 2016 at 7:46 AM, Bruno Marchal <mar...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

On 08 Sep 2016, at 21:43, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 1:15:15 PM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 08 Sep 2016, at 18:22, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Thursday, September 8, 2016 at 7:53:23 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 07 Sep 2016, at 20:06, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Wednesday, September 7, 2016 at 11:16:38 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 06 Sep 2016, at 17:42, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:

On Tuesday, September 6, 2016 at 4:38:53 AM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com wrote: I understand your pov. It has but one problem. You ignore the elephant in the room; namely, those other worlds or universes necessary for the outcomes not measured in this world to be realized. But you have an out, stated in another post. They form part of your imagination. Not good enough from my pov. AG

I should also add that the MWI sheds no light, AFAICT, on the measurement problem; that is, why we get the outcome we get. As far as collapse contradicting SR via the result of Bell experiments, I am not sure about that conclusion. If FTL occurs, it may be the case that in some frames Alice's measurement occurs first, in other frames Bob's measurement occurs first. I tend to think this muddies the waters on the issue of FLT transmission and contradictions with relativity. AG

The "MWI" explains already a part of the mind-body problem when formulated in the Digital Mechanist Frame. You don't need to even know QM to understand the high plausibility of the "many-computations". If FTL occurs, and you keep both QM and SR, then an action in the future can change the past, and physical causility becomes meaningless. With mechanism, physical causality is not yet guarantied, to be sure, but I would throw digital mechanism if it could lead to future -> past physical action (it does not make sense).

Ah, you wrote:

Possible correction: my remark about relativity might apply to how events are seen from a frame moving FTL -- that is, a breakdown in causality -- and might not apply to Alice/Bob situation. AG

Well, OK, then. But it would apply if there were a collapse (in one universe), even if Alice needs to send two bits of information to transformed the effect (and send or get one qubit).

The "collapse" does not even refer to anything I can make sense of. It looks like a continuous invocation of God. As an explanation, it looks like a continuum of blasphemes (in the theology of the universal machine).

Here's what collapse means to me; the wf evolves from a solution of SWE, namely a superposition, to a delta function centered at the measurement value. No one knows, or has a model how this transformation occurs.It's in the category of a TBD, possibly unknowable. It seems empirically based since repeated measurements of the same system result in the same outcomes. I don't necessarily believe in primary matter's existence. But its statistical persistence seems undeniable, whereas the many worlds has yet to manifest any persistence except in the minds of its advocates. AG

The MWI is only the SWE taken literally.

Maybe that's the problem; taking a calculational tool too seriously. AG

If an observer O observes a cat in the superposition d + a (dead + alive),

But that never happens. The state of superposition exists, if it does, when the box is closed, and ceases when the box is opened.

Then the SWE is wrong.

You beg the question by postulating that QM is wrong outside the box, but there are no evidence for that, given that Everett showed the consistency of QM-without-collapse with the facts, using the simplest known antic theory of mind (mechanism)

The fact is the cat is dead OR alive when the box is opened, and presumably alive before the box is closed. So all I am doing is refuting your claim that any observer observes a superposition of states. AG

In QM+collapse, which assumes that QM is wrong somewhere (but where? No unanimity of collapse-defenders agree on this).

Without collapse, the cat is in the superposition state (dead +alive), and when an observer look at the cat, he entangles itself with the cat state, and the final state is O-a alive + O-d dead (linearity of tensor product). Then by linearity of the SWE, O-a lives a *phenomenological collapse" like if the cat was reduced to "alive", and O-b lives a phenomenological like if the cat was reduced to "dead", but in the 3p picture, no reduction ever occurred.

Bruno

Sorry, but what you write makes no sense. When you look at the cat, presumably after box is opened, the cat is either alive or dead. You may be entangled with it, but at that point in time there is no superposition of alive and dead. AG

I don't see how you can apply the SWE to this problem. It's a function of space and time and its solutions have nothing to do with alive or dead. And if you can't do so, your analysis makes no sense. AG

We usually judged if an animal is dead or alive by a (rough and macro) analysis of the position of the atoms of its body.

If the cat lies down: it is dead. If the cat walks: it is alive. No need to go beyond the space and time descriptions. The quality dead and alive are sort of biophysical macro (in the computer science sense).

The superposition of the decaying atom contaminates all particles around and that contagion of superposition propagates to the whole box, and beyond if the box leaked or is opened.
The propagation speed is subliminal  (interaction-time).

With Everett theory, which is just Copenhagen theory minus a postulate (collapse), we get back determinacy, locality, realism (although not at the usual mundane level, which I admit can seem shocking).

My point, or result, is that IF we postulate Mechanism, an assumption in the cognitive science, or in philosophy of mind, or in psychology, or in theology, THEN we get Everett minus, yet again, a postulate: the SWE itself. It *has to*became explained as providing the unique measure for the first person plural emerging view on all computations in elementary arithmetic, or combinator algebra (etc.). And this works, in the sense that the modal, intensional, variant of self-reference available to any "sufficiently rich" (Löbian, or Gödelian) machine provides a quantum logic and a quantization on the states accessible by a Universal Dovetailer (the sigma_1 arithmetical reality, in logician's terms) relatively to itself.

That provides an utterly clear arithmetic interpretation of a theory due to a neopythagorean of the first century of the C. era: Moderatus of Gades, but also of the main Enneads of Plotinus.

And this 'machine's theology' contains physics, and so is testable. The conception of matter becomes weird and quite counter- intuitive, and without quantum mechanics, I would have judged it highly unplausible. But both the theology of the universal machine, and the verifiable measurable facts points toward a Platonist like theology.

The Enlightenment Period will be transformed when theology, the modest and humble, and highly skeptical, science, will return at the faculty of science where it was born. Until then we are still in the middle-age like we can see by looking around us.

Bruno

It 's easier just to claim the cat shares the wf of the radioactive source. But you still have the 800+ pound gorilla in the room you can't account for; namely, by your CHOICE to do the cat experiment, you're claiming the creation of another world with another cat and another observer.

Where did I claim something like that? The terms of the branches does not depend on my choice,

It seems that they do. If you do a cat experiment, you get two branches. If you don't, you don't.

Well, there are explanation why our type of brain favors the position base, but when you choose to do an experiment, you don't create branches, you differentiate on the alternative you are interested in.

They don't exist apriori, unless you want to deny free will. They come into existence when an experiment is done, or possibly when there's some sort of decision tree, such as playing a slot machine at LV. AG

We don't know. We need a coherent quantum theory of gravitation to figure out. No problem with free-will, as it is not related to quantum of computationalist indeterminacy at all---but that is quite a different topic (already discussed here).

I think we do know. See comment below. AG
and the results of the measurement do not depend on the base chosen.

It seems that they do. Measurements of energy, momentum or spin for example, result in different bases. AG

They correspond to different base, but the numerical result are not dependent of the base chosen to describe the wave evolution. This is well explained in Everett long paper.

I don't see how you reach this conclusion. If I measure spin, I surely get a different numerical result than if I measure energy, AG

Of course. The point is that if we measure whatever we want, the result does not depend of the base used. Many are wrong on this when discussing Everett's theory.

It is just the supposition terms of the wave (in any base). There are no worlds, only relative states. My choice change only the way the multiverse is locally and relatively to me partitionned.

These relative states seem to require observers and a measuring infrastructure.

No problem. Everett theory is just that it obeys to QM too.

Please; no appeals to authority.

mentionning a theory is not an argument of authority, it is called honesty. Nobody claims that this or that theory is true or false. We avoid "philosophy", or make special thread, which I avoid to prevent confusion.

Do you need observers or not on the other worlds, or branches, or whatever, and their measuring infrastructures? AG

Everett assume the Universal Wave, but ignores (like most) the consequence of digital mechanism.

I assume only elementary arithmetic and computationalism, in the UDA, and only elementary arithmetic in the actual beginning of the derivation of physics and of the wave from the interview of the universal machine.

You create them by virtue of what you DO, say in an experiment. Or do you back off from the apparent requirement of the MWI that all possible outcomes are measured somewhere, somehow?

You don't create them at all, no more than you create the moon by looking at it. You just localize yourslef relatively to the more probable (numerous, weighted) relative branche(s).th

What if the probability is 50-50 as in a spin experiment? How is the choice made?. But more important, since I've never done one, will the alternative histories pre-exist if I decide one day to do such an experiment? AG

Have you read the sane04 paper?

Just having a branch evolving is not tantamount to a measurement and observation. AG

Calling it a branch or whatever doesn't solve your fatal problem. There's a simpler solution to your problem; instead of conceiving of the collapse as meaning irreducible randomness,

The point is that the randomness becomes only a case of Mechanist first person indeterminacy, which exist even without quantum mechanics.
why not assume it's a continuous process whereby the wf evolves into a delta function centered at the value measured? IOW, just assume there's an as yet unknown, continuous, non linear evolution of the state prior to measurement, which is time reversible. After all, your objection to collapse is its standard interpretation as irreducible randomness. AG

That is a Bohm-De Broglie type of move. It assumes QM false, and leads to many difficulties often discussed here (see Weinberg argument that non linearity leads to the refutation of thermodynamics, GR,

Do you have a link for this, particularly about his comments on thermodynamics? TIA, AG

Google on "Weinberg non linear quantum mechanics".

etc.), including irreducibly-hidden variables/initial-conditions, with non local effects. Anyway, I work with computationalism, and show we have to derive the wave and its equation, so we will see if there is a non linearity in that case, but the results so far go in the direction that the physics is reversible and linear, etc.

Let us no do "philosophy" and just be clear on what theory we assume. Once we assume digital mechanism, there is no more choice left (that *is* the point).

Succinctly, what is digital mechanism? I don't see how arithmetic and possibly a computer can reproduce any physical theory. It's real stretch IMO. AG

It has too, see my paper already referred, or ask for more.

You are right, a computer cannot emulate the physical reality, nor consciousness.

Digital mechanism, alias computationalism, is a very weak hypothesis in cognitive science: it is the hypothesis that we could survive with a digital artificial brain or body? It is a modern version of Descartes-Milinda Mechanism. It generalize and weaken many versions like Putnam's functionalism, which assumes the description level is high.

Are you referring to Peter Putnam who used to teach at Colombia University in the late 1950's? Do you have a link? AG

PUTNAM H., 1960, Minds and Machines, Dimensions of Mind : A Symposium, Sidney Hook (Ed.), New-York University Press, New-York. also in Anderson A. R. (Ed.),1964.

ANDERSON A.R. (ed.), 1964, Minds and Machine, Prentice Hall inc. New Jersey.
(Trad. Française : Pensée et machine, Editions du Champ Vallon, 1983).

Bruno

Some sum up it by "no magic", a bit like Dideort defined rationalism by Descarte's mechanism.

Then it is a theorem that elementary arithmetic reality (model) realize the universal dovetailing, and that both consciusness and matter are emergent pattern on a self-referential structure which exist in arithmetic (or Turing equivalent) and the math confirms this by showing that the (antic) definition of matter when translated in arithmetic gives a quantum logic.

Maybe you have a fundamental misunderstanding of Schrodinger's Cat. AG

It is the measurement problem, and you talk like if the collapse solves it, but then tell me precisely the range of QM. I read de Broglie who suggested that entanglement would no more operate at the distance of an atom diameter. People give criteria for the collapse, but the experience refutes them. I share Feynman's idea that the collapse is a collective hallucination, and the math shows that if comp is true then that hallucination is somehow necessary.

With computationalism we have to generalize Everett's embedding of the physicist in the physical reality to the embedding of the mathematician in arithmetic (which is actually what Gödel begun).

Mechanism explains both the origin of consciousness and the origin of the appearance of matter, and this in a way enough precise so that we can test it, and thanks to QM, mechanism is not (yet) refuted, and is, I think, the only theory explaining consciousness, including why it cannot be completely explained in any first person convincing way (the so called hard problem, which is only the antic mind-body problem after mechanism solved the "easy part" (AI)).

I do not defend any theory. You should not been able to guess what I might believe true or not. Computationalism has an advantage in philosophy, which is that it can rely on theoretical computer science which is a branch of both mathematical logic and number theory. It is a good lantern to search the key around, not more.

My main point is that we can study the highly non trivial relation between machines' belief and diverse notion of truth they can discover and guess. They got a theology closer to Plotinus (300 after C., neoplatonism) and Moderatus of Gades (neopythagoreanism, 2 centuries before Plotinus) than the materialist Aristotelians.

I say this being aware that some scientists still take the Aristotelian metaphysics for granted, but of course science is just beginning to be able to formulate the problem (which of Plato or Aristotle is closer to reality). The discovery of the universal machine/number is still a very recent event and few get really the Church-Turing idea and their relation with Gödel's completeness and incompleteness fundamental results.

I can suggest you some good books if you are interested. But if you dislike Everett, it might take some work before liking the consequences of the digital mechanist hypothesis. The bible is Martin Davis "Undecidability", and its own introduction to computability and logic (both published by Dover) is excellent if you are enough mathematically minded.

Bruno

we know that, before interaction, the physical state is well described by the expression O(a + d), with the tensor product noted multiplicatively, and that it is equivalent with Oa + Od. So even at this stage the "O" can be considered being in a superposition state. That is what I called the linearity of the tensor product. Now, by the linearity of the wave evolution we get O-a a + O-b b, that is each branch behaves classically (P-i = O with i in its memory. And both 0-a and O-b can repeat their measurement, and the linearity of the wave evolution implies that they will always find the same measurement result. So the MWI explains the persistence as much well as classical physics, or QM+collapse (if that means something precise).

My point is that at this stage, QM (without collapse) is compatible with Mechanism (used implicitly above) only insofar as the persistence is explained from a statistics on *all* computations (which exist once you agree that 2+2=4 independently of you and me).

My technical point is that this work in the sense that we can derive quantum logic (and normally physics) from the logical structure that the computations inherit from the logic of (machine) self-reference.

That is elegant because at this stage the "theory of everything" needs no less and no more than very elementary axioms (and mechanism in the meta-background).

The only axiom that I use are the following:

0 ≠ (x + 1)
((x + 1) = (y + 1))  -> x = y
x = 0 v Ey(x = y + 1)
x + 0 = x
x + (y + 1) = (x + y) + 1
x * 0 = 0
x * (y + 1) = (x * y) + x

Actually I could even just use the two combinators axioms:

Kxy = x
Sxyz = xz(yz)

Such axioms are Turing complete, and you can prove the existence of the UD from them (and *in* them if you add some induction axioms, but I prefer to put them in the epistemology of the observers).

The Turing-Church thesis rehabilit the neopythagorean theology, and we get physics exactly when we use the antic definition of knowledge and matter provided by them (notably by Moderatus of Gades).

On the contrary, if primary matter or if physicalism would be true, we remain with the task of explaining what is their role for consciousness (or just first person experience).

Aristotle idea of naturalism or (weak) materialism (the existence of a physical primary reality) has only been a tool for letting the mind-body problem sleep a bit, and that has been a very fertile simplifying hypothesis, but now, with mechanism, and plausibly with only quantum mechanics, we get the (predicted by the Platonist) problem of justifying the relation between first person discourse and third person discourse. We can't use the simple mind-brain identity theory, because we have an infinity of quasi identical brains in arithmetic, and we can't use a selection principle based on a substance without damaging the mechanist hypothesis.

Keep in mind that my origianl goal is to solve the mind-body problem, and with mechanism, we have no choice other than justifying the appearance of physicalness from a statistic based on the mix of "*all* computations + machine self- reference when distributed in those computations. It works (till now). Non-mechanism does not work, and it is well known that the mind-body problem has been put under the rug since Aristotle (except by the Platonists, who were just banned from our civilisation 1500 years ago).

In Soccer terms: Plato 1, Aristotle 0. I don't pretend it is the last match.