On 04 Aug 2017, at 20:26, John Clark wrote:

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 7:14 PM, Stathis Papaioannou <stath...@gmail.com > wrote:

​> ​You seem to agree that it's obvious the duplicating machine won't make a difference.

Sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. ​With or without a ​ duplicating machine​ ​looking into the past you will​ always know with 100% certainty what you did or did not see, and with or without a ​duplicating machine​ looking into the future you can never predict with 100% certainty what you will see next and the best you can do is resort to probabilities. However without a duplicating machine, although you still can't make a prediction beforehand with 100% certainty, afterword you can know with 100% certainty what the correct prediction would have been, but that's not possible if duplicating machines are in the mix and it's not possible ​because then the following 2 sentences are NOT ​ equivalent:

1) What will you end up seeing?
2) What did you end up seeing?

​Although​ ​both have question marks at the end only one of them​ ​is a question. The second one has a precise answer, the first one doesn't have a​n​ answer, not even a​​ approximate answer, not even in retrospect. They are not equivalent because the personal pronouns in them are not equivalent, and the personal pronouns are not equivalent because ​people​ duplicating machine​s​ are used and because the past and the future are not equivalent. We can remember the past but not the future.

That is why we have to make the question more precise, and replace "1)" by either 1') "What will 1-you end up seeing?" or by 1'') "What will 3-you end up seeing?". In that case, given that we assume computationalism (so we know that 1-we survive in one unique city), the answer to 1') is "1-I expect to find myself in W or in M", and the answer to 1") is I expect anybody to see 3-me in both W and M.

If not, you have to admit you die in Helsinki, and computationalism is false. QED.

​> ​This has been the whole point of the discussion

If​ ​duplicating machine​s​​ ​make no difference why were they introduced into the thought experiment? And where is this indeterminacy I keep hearing about?

It is due to the fact that the person in Helsinki expect to survive, and know in advance that whatever he will feel having survived, it can only be in one city, (cf P(coffee) = 1 and P("one city") = 1, from his two available accessible first person points of view).

BTW you did not answer my last messages where this has been explained. I also asked you a question there. I copy the message below for your ease(*). Take all your time, but please avoid the ad hominem stuff.

Bruno

(*)