On 05 Sep 2017, at 02:01, Bruce Kellett wrote:

On 5/09/2017 12:49 am, David Nyman wrote:
On 4 Sep 2017 13:11, "Bruce Kellett" <bhkell...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
On 4/09/2017 9:15 pm, Bruno Marchal wrote:
On 03 Sep 2017, at 18:46, Brent Meeker wrote:

On the contrary, we can only speculate on a primary physical reality for which there are no evidences at all.

You can't prove primary arithmetic either.

Indeed.

But there are many evidences that 2+2=4. There are no evidence for primary matter. Not one.

"Primary" is just a word you stick on "physical" to make it seem inaccessible. I don't need to prove the physical, I observe it.

?

Nobody can observe a metaphysical idea. You can observe matter, and that is an evidence for matter, not for primary matter.

Primary means "not deducible" from something else.

Bruno, you are just playing with words. I observe matter - that is evidence for matter, so the observation is primary, not the matter. But then I assume matter and deduce that I will observe it - so the matter becomes primary. You claim arithmetic is primary, because 2+2=4 independent of you and me. But I can deduce arithmetic from observation, making observation primary again, and arithmetic merely derivative. But then I assume that matter is primary - I can then deduce both observation and arithmetic.

It is all a matter of choice. You choose to make arithmetic primary, but you can't prove that this is necessarily the case. I can assume that quarks and electrons, etc, are primary, and else follows from this. Maybe I can't prove that either, but I have a hell of a lot more evidence for the possibility of deriving arithmetic from the existence of matter than you have of proving the existence of quarks from pure arithmetic. The evidence is all in my favour.

Honestly, Bruce, I think it's you who is playing with words here. The sense in which Bruno is using primary here is perfectly clear - i.e. the fundamental ontological assumption in a comprehensive theory of origins.

That is not what Bruno says above. I quote: "Primary means 'not deducible' from something else." Given that definition, then what I say is perfectly logical. Primacy has nothing to do with ontology according to Bruno's definition.

Except that I define the ontic level by what we take as primary. How to proceed differently? (without ontological commitment).

It doesn't aid comprehension to substitute a quite different meaning - that of primary sense perception - in 'rebuttal'. As to choice of primary ontological assumption, that is fixed by the prior choice of mechanism as the theory of mind.

But I do not assume mechanism as the theory of mind.

Then, I guess we talk on different things.

It seems to me begging the question to assume the answer before you begin the investigation.

That does not make sense. I study the consequence of the mechanist hypothesis. Now, you loss me. I am not sure what you are arguing for. You can assume a physical primary universe, but then the result is that you need a non computationalist theory of mind.

One's choice of "primary ontological assumption" is a choice, and I am not constrained to assume your ontology in order to discuss your theory. As has been said, "Epistemology precedes ontology", so constraining one's ontology from the outset is not necessarily the brightest strategy.

OK. But with mechanism, the TOE does not need to assume more than:

0 ≠ (x + 1)
((x + 1) = (y + 1))  -> x = y
x = 0 v Ey(x = y + 1)
x + 0 = x
x + (y + 1) = (x + y) + 1
x * 0 = 0
x * (y + 1) = (x * y) + x

which is assumed in all physical theory, and also many non physical theory.

I think frankly that this is the sticking point for you. You want to claim that computation can equally well be 'inferred' from the primary ontological assumption of physics. But unfortunately this amounts to egregious question begging, since the phenomenon of inference, and a fortiori any perceptible phenomenon that depends on it, is itself already part of the mental spectrum whose provenance we're seeking to explain in the first place.

Consciousness is a necessary prerequisite for the understanding of consciousness. This might be true, but it is an unhelpful observation. Just as unhelpful as your observation that logic and inference are necessary for the understanding of logic and inference. I am not begging the question, I am doing the opposite, and not assuming the answer before I begin the investigation.

What are you assuming? You will be in trouble, because the theory above can be proved to be not deducible from any other theory (unless Turing equivalent: all the axiom above can be deduce from Kxy = x + Sxya = xz(yz)).

In science, one has to observe the phenomenon before seeking to explain it -- it if is not observed, what is there to explain?

Here you do beg the question. We do that in physics, but in metaphysics we just cannot equate "real" and "observable", or we assume Aristotle metaphysics. No problem but it refute computationalism, and again we go out of the theory that I am studying.

The Cartesian attempt at a solution to the conundrum of explaining consciousness does not really work: I might not be able to doubt that I doubt, but that doesn't explain anything.

Well, consciousness is hard to define, so if you can agree that it has the property of being undoubtable, then, it is interesting to notice that all machine looking inward discover the undoubtable (Bp & p), that it obeys to S4 and intuitionistic logic, and to quantum logic on the p belonging to the universal dovetailing, etc.

You might try to put all your hypothesis and rule of reasoning on the table, but I am aware that even just this requires a bit of knowledge of mathematical logic. It is just that I am no more sure what you assume or in which theory you reason. When we do philosophy or theology with the scientific method, we must avoid the temptation to mix our personal opinion and the axioms. I am aware that my criteria of rigor is high: I do not allow second order logic, nor even first order set theory, which contains already a lot of implicit conception of reality. Only first order logic can make us writting our metaphysical axioms without metaphysical hidden baggage (a point made by Tenneson on this list some times ago).

Bruno

Bruce