> On 12 Dec 2018, at 19:38, agrayson2...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 3:51:04 PM UTC, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 11 Dec 2018, at 19:32, agrays...@gmail.com <javascript:> wrote:
>>

>> SNIP
>>

>>> No testable hypotheses; conclusios not based on empirical data. AG.
>>
>> Only since 529. Those proposing theories and empirical verification modes
>> were persecuted. They escaped in the Middle-East, where unfortunately the
>> made “stealing” was made in 1248.
>>
>> Of course, I provide a counter-example, by showing that we can test
>> mechanism/materialism, and the test favour mechanism on materialism. Physics
>> seems to NOT be the fundamental science.
>>

>>> In that domain, you can understand that Mechanism is not compatible with
>>> Materialism, and that the cosmos is not the ultimate reality. Its
>>> appearance comes from something else, non physical.
>>>
>>> Play it again Sam. Succinctly, how do you define Mechanism and Materialism,
>>> and why are they incompatible? AG
>>

>> Mechanism is the idea that our consciousness results only from the physical
>> functioning of the brain, or the body (in some generalised sense). To be
>> “functioning” (and biologically reproductible) implies digitalness (or you
>> can assume it outright).
>>
>> But then it is easy to understand that a universal machine cannot
>> distinguish a computation supporting him/her and executed by this or that
>> Turing complete system. In particular, it cannot distinguish a computation
>> run by a God, or by Matter, or by arithmetic (which is Turing complete).
>> This means that to predict anything empirically, it has to emerge from a
>> statistics on all (relative) computations (seen by the machine). When we do
>> the math, we do recover already that the observable of the universal machine
>> (an arithmetical notion, see Turing) obey a quantum logic, with a
>> symmetrical hamiltonian, etc.
>> Up to now, Mechanism won the empirical test, where materialism remains on
>> the side of the philosophical ontological commitment, without any evidences.
>>
>> Mechanism is just the idea that we can survive with a digital computer in
>> place of the body or the brain. It assumes the existence of a level of
>> substitution where we survive a functional digital substitution.
>>
>> Let's assume such a substitution is possible. How do you go from that, to
>> some existing "universal machine" doing anything?
> You don’t need to assume that we survive such substitution to get the
> existence of a universal machine.
>
> You wrote above that we could assume it "outright" -- that mechanism implies
> we can survive a digital substitution? So I think you need mechanism to be
> true for your theory to be viable.

I define Mechanism by the hypothesis that we can survive such brain Digital
transplantation. Yes.

I don’t claim it is true.

I claim it is testable, and indeed, somehow already confirmed because it
imposed a physics quite similar (up to now) to quantum theory (without
collapse).

> But then you've already solved the problem of consciousness without going
> further, and it seems the conventional, albeit unproved expectation of
> materialism. AG

No, Materialism is refuted when you assume Mechanism. Mechanism and Materialism
are in complete opposition. You need high infinities in the observable world to
attach a piece of matter to a mind.
We can come back on this when you study the UD-Argument (UD = Universal
Dovetailer) step by step.

Bruno