> On 13 Dec 2018, at 21:33, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 1:12:35 PM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:
>

> On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 10:27:29 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>
>> On 13 Dec 2018, at 15:12, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <>> wrote:
>>

>> On Thursday, December 13, 2018 at 5:34:48 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> You don’t need to assume that we survive such substitution to get the
>>> existence of a universal machine.
>>>
>>> You wrote above that we could assume it "outright" -- that mechanism
>>> implies we can survive a digital substitution? So I think you need
>>> mechanism to be true for your theory to be viable.
>>

>> I define Mechanism by the hypothesis that we can survive such brain Digital
>> transplantation. Yes.
>>
>> I don’t claim it is true.
>>
>> I claim it is testable, and indeed, somehow already confirmed because it
>> imposed a physics quite similar (up to now) to quantum theory (without
>> collapse).
>>

>>> But then you've already solved the problem of consciousness without going
>>> further, and it seems the conventional, albeit unproved expectation of
>>> materialism. AG
>>

>> No, Materialism is refuted when you assume Mechanism. Mechanism and
>> Materialism are in complete opposition. You need high infinities in the
>> observable world to attach a piece of matter to a mind.
>> We can come back on this when you study the UD-Argument (UD = Universal
>> Dovetailer) step by step.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

>> The "working hypothesis" of panpsychical materialism (Galen Strawson, Philip
>> Goff, David Skrbina, ...) is that "mind" (consciousness) needs
>> experientialities (not infinities).
>
> Please, study the UD-Argument. Here I said that Matter needs infinities, if
> we want keep Mechanism.
>
> Mind, I mean the conscious part of Mind,  needs experientialities, and that
> is provided by using the definition of “knowledge” by Theaetetus, (true
> opinion) refuted by Socrates, but the refutation by Socrates assumes
> implicitly a form of completeness which is itself refuted by Gödel+Turing,
> for machines.
>
> Bruno
>

> Whether "Matter needs infinities" is something I think many physicists today
> are right about: It isn't the case.
>
> Max Tegmark says this emphatically. (Infinities are "ruining physics", he
> says.) Maybe a rare instance where I think he may be right.
>
> - pt
>

> BTW, I still think that the Universal Dovetailer is close to a model by Peter
> Wegner and Dina Goldin (the Persistent Turing Machine).
>
> http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~dqg/papers/strong-cct.pdf

That paper makes pragmatical sense, but the interactive nuance makes sense only
against some use of CT in IA, not in metaphysics. In particular, when they say
in the abstract that Turing’s definition excludes interactions, this is not
correct, and that would violate the “intensional Church-Turing thesis”. Not
only all universal machine compute the exact same class of computable
functions, but they can emulate each manner of computations, and they emulate
all the same classes of digital processes.

The idea that some input can be given during the computation can be handled by
recursive operators, or other recursive means, which require the “strong CT”,
which is just CT actually, despite what the authors says.

Let me look, I bet they use the word “real” at some place … bingo. They did.
That is not serious, and certainly not relevant in metaphysics, although it can
make sense to criticise some naive use of CT in AI, perhaps.

You are right on this: the universal dovetailer, despite never interrupting a
computation, do emulate all possible digital computations including those with
interruptions, and intra-computations interactions, and even with quantum
entanglement which is harder to show, but that is the case.
I will read the conclusion later, as I have to go now, but I am not convinced
at all (to say the least).

Bruno
1 ¬ ́ «p© ̄b¦ ̈X¡ ©a¬h« §b¦ ̄ a §·§ ¡O ̄b¦ ́ ̈ 2 3⁄4 2 ¦ 3b¦ ¬ ́ «p© ¦ ©Oa 2&μ
́S ̄ ̈X¡jp© ́&§ ¡O¶ja 3X ̄ ËS¡ ̧ 3 ©h« ̄ « 3 2 ËS¡Ê¶j¬ ¦&wOZ GsWrNqVfZ
L[mÉmnGÈZ GrWrN ÇYN LfJ"IbGxV ¡Op© ́ © § ̈X¡lÆX¡p ̈ ̧ 3 ¬ ́ § « § ¡Op© 3b¦
¬h« ­1⁄4«x ̈ ́ § ÅO­j¬h«x ̈Oa 1 p© ̧ μĦ&§ « 3b¦ ¬¥« ­1⁄4«x ̈ ́ ¡Op© ́ ©,¡ ̄
¬q¡ 3b¦ À1⁄4« aaÃq¡ § ©h« ¶j¬ ¦ Á¶q¡O¶ ¬q¡ ©}¬h«¿ ̈X¡bÀX¡O¬-­O¬h«x ̈ja ¿©
¦ p© ̧ ¦ »-¦ ¬h« § « § ¡O ­O¬h«x ̈Oa Q3⁄4 ̄ ̈Oa 1⁄2 3b¦ ¬h« ­1⁄4«v ̈ ́ ¡Op© §
©ja 2&μ ́S ̄ © ¦ p© ­O¬h«jp© ̧}¬ ¦ ́ ¶·¬ ¦X ̄ ¶j¬ ¦ ¬ ́ «p© ¦ ©Oa 2&μ ́S ̄
3h3b¦¡p ̈Oap©2 ¦X ̄ ±v§®" ° §¡O¬h«j ̄b¦®3­j¬h«x ̈Oa ©¦p©§©p ̈X¡§p§b¦"w¥W[w[P
¢¤y `aZtWvR LjyX£}¢XVnR L}¢ F `aZ G RrN T¡j