On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 9:19:50 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 18 Dec 2018, at 16:40, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 9:24:12 AM UTC-6, Philip Thrift wrote:
>>

>> On Tuesday, December 18, 2018 at 5:04:32 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> If one *begins* with the assumption
>>>
>>>         *Fictionalism*
>>>

>>> But why start from a so much nonsensical assumption? Why not assume that
>>> pigs have wings.
>>>
>>> How to distinguish 2+2=4 and 2+2=5 with fictionalism?
>>>
>>> I certainly doubt less 2+2=4 than the existence of the moon, as I
>>> explained before.
>>>

>>> then *Matter is  All There Is* is the best conclusion from that
>>> assumption (I would argue).
>>>

>>> But why assume (primary) Matter? I will wait for at least one evidence.
>>> “Seeing” is not an evidence (that is Aristotle’s criteria for reality).
>>>
>>> To explain the apparent matter from an ontological commitment is not
>>> better than saying “because god decided”. It eliminate problems, without
>>> providing any testable consequence.
>>>

>> But I wasn't assuming Materialism.
>> I was assuming Fictionalism.
>>
>> Fictionalism says *Numbers don't exist.*
>> If something exists (and it can't be numbers) then what is the
>> alternative?
>>
>> Matter seems like the best bet, right?
>>

> Except that with Mechanism, it is has be proven, or explain, that Matter
> cannot be a primary notion. With Mechanism, Matter is what emerge from a
> statistics on all relative computations.
>

>> - pt
>>

> I should add: Why is fictionalism compelling?
>
> When you get down to the bottom of it, *numbers are spiritual entities*.
>

> I have no problem with that. I have some evidence for spiritual entities,
> indeed all the mathematical notions are spiritual or immaterial, then
> consciousness mind, etc.
>

> Many are compelled to want to eliminate spiritual entities.
>

> Like you apparently. If you put the spiritual entities, like numbers and
> math in fictionalism, it will look you consider them as fiction, it seems
> to me.
>
> I am problem driven. And my favorite problem is the mind-body problem. I
> reduce the mind-body problem into the justification why universal spiritual
> entities get the (admittedly persistent) impression of a primitively
> material world. I found it. All universal “spiritual” entities go through
> this.
>
> Bruno

A: There is arithmetical reality where there are "simulated" entities that
surmise a material reality (but matter itself does not actually exist).

M. There is material reality where arithmetic is a language (or language
group) created by material entities.

But to have A producing matter in reality, or matter "emerging from" A
 (A→M),  is a kind of dualism. And what would be the need for A→M if A is
enough?

In M, "mind" comes from the psychical states of matter (Strawson, et al.,
who say of course that the "mechanistic", "physicalistic", whatever
materialists are misguided).

- pt