> [...]
>>> substrate in the picture makes the mind-body problem almost non soluble, at
>>> least without invoking some precise non computationalist theory of mind. I
>>> start from the computationalist of mind, shows that we have to derive a
>>> phenomenology of matter in a special (self-referentially based) manner, and
>>> nature seems to confirm this. The illusion of matter is easier to explain
>>> once we have a theory of consciousness, than to derive a theory of
>>> consciousness from some notion substrate (which are conceived usually as
>>> being inert).
>>> We are working in different theories. You might think about a way to
>>> motivate your ontological commitment in some primitive substance. The books
>>> in physics does not provide such motivation, as they do not aboard the
>>> mind-body problem (even if Everett Quantum Mechanics already look like a
>>> solution to the mechanist mind-body problem).
>>>
>>> Bruno
>>>

>>> Just to note that the "substrate" terminology is used in computing (as
>>> above):
>>>
>>>   Programmable analog devices have emerged as a powerful computing substrate
>>>   for performing complex neuromorphic and cytomorphic computations.
>>>
>>> It's a word combined with "computing" like love and marriage.
>>
>> But those analog computations, although they could be very useful in
>> practice, do not change the consequence of the theory, unless you claim that
>> they provide us with a method to compute new functions, which would violate
>> the Church-Turing thesis (which I doubt very much). Keep in mind that with
>> mechanism, the physical reality has analog part, which might or not be used
>> by our bodies, although there are no evidences (that I know) for this. I
>> follow the idea of not adding any hypothesis in a theory, unless there are
>> strong evidences for them.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

>> "Analog" computing is a bit odd. Assuming real numbers (as commonly defined
>> in math) do not exist in nature (which I don't think they do) then there is
>> nothing in the Church-Turing sense of semantics that the analog computer
>> computes differently. But in other semantics (like taking physical aspects
>> into account - power consumption, for example - then analog substrate does
>> matter.
>

> Liner logic handles the notion of resource, and a machine cannot distinguish
> a relative substrate as defined in some ontological primary matter/substrate
> setting or in arithmetic. Of course, by invoking an ontological commitment,
> you can doubt any theory. Maybe be car are driven by invisible horses, and
> thermodynamic is a fake theory.
>
> As I try to solve the mind-body problem in the Mechanist frame, I cannot use
> any ontological commitment other than the term of some arbitrary but fixed
> universal system.
>
> You assume some God, but that makes everything more complex, without
> evidences why to do so, except naive physical realism, but that does not work

With mechanism, we can identify body, words, numbers, and it is a pure third
person notion, but mind has a first person part (indeed called the soul or the
personal consciousness) which is pure 1p. The mind body problem consists in
linking, without magic or ontological commitment those two things. The solution
suggested by Theaetetus in Plato, has been refuted by Socrates (in Plato) but
incompleteness refutes Socrates argument, and rehabilitates Theatetus’idea (the
soul or the first person knower is the true-believer).
You can compare this with the semantic problem for language/body. To associate
a semantic to a program or machine is related to the problem of associating a
mind or a meaning to a body or to a code. The problem is virtually the same:
once a theory/body is “rich enough”, its semantics escapes it and get multiple.
Rich theories have many non isomorphic models/semantics, a bit like any
computational state is supported by infinitely many computational situation,
and some indeterminacy has to be taken into account.

Bruno