> [...]
> both matter and consciousness becomes only more obscure.
>

>> According to constitutive micropsychism, the smallest parts of my brain have
>> very basic forms of consciousness, and the consciousness of my brain as a
>> whole is in some sense made up from the consciousness of its parts. This is
>> the form of panpsychism that suffers most acutely from the combination
>> problem, which we will explore below. However, if it can be made sense of,
>> constitutive micropsychism promises an elegant and parsimonious view of
>> nature, with all the richness of nature accounted for in terms of facts at
>> the micro-level.
>
> I am skeptical this can work, and of course, it is incompatible with Digital
> mechanism. This one explains consciousness in the most standard theological
> way (Theaetetus), and it explains matter in an entire new way, as number
> hallucination, which provable exist in arithmetic (once we bet the brain is
> Turing emulable).
>
> Bruno
>

> In any case, one of the "micropsychists"  has a new paper just out:
>

> "According to the fusion view ... when micro- or protoconscious entities come
> together in the right way, they fuse or 'blend' together to form a single
> unified consciousness. ..."
>
> Is Consciousness Intrinsic? A Problem for the Integrated Information Theory
> Hedda Hassel Mørch
> Journal of Consciousness Studies 26 (1-2):133-162(30) (2019)
>
> https://philpapers.org/rec/MRCICI
> https://philpapers.org/archive/MRCICI.pdf
>
> Abstract
> The Integrated Information Theory of consciousness (IIT) claims that
> consciousness is identical to maximal integrated information, or maximal Φ.
> One objection to IIT is based on what may be called the intrinsicality
> problem: consciousness is an intrinsic property, but maximal Φ is an
> extrinsic property; therefore, they cannot be identical. In this paper, I
> show that this problem is not unique to IIT, but rather derives from a
> trilemma that confronts almost any theory of consciousness. Given most
> theories of consciousness, the following three claims are inconsistent.
> INTRINSICALITY: Consciousness is intrinsic. NON-OVERLAP: Conscious systems do
> not overlap with other conscious systems (a la Unger’s problem of the many).
> REDUCTIONISM: Consciousness is constituted by more fundamental properties (as
> per standard versions of physicalism and Russellian monism). In view of this,
> I will consider whether rejecting INTRINSICALITY is necessarily less
> plausible than rejecting NON-OVERLAP or REDUCTIONISM. I will also consider
> whether IIT is necessarily committed to rejecting INTRINSICALITY or whether
> it could also accept solutions that reject NON-OVERLAP or REDUCTIONISM
> instead. I will suggest that the best option for IIT may be a solution that
> rejects REDUCTIONISM rather than INTRINSICALITY or NON-OVERLAP.

This is weird. All programs are maximally integrated information, I would say.
But I doubt they are all conscious. At least, from the abstract, the author is
aware of the error consisting in identifying a first person notion with a third
person notion (he used intrinsic and extrinsic for this).

I agree with instrinsicality, but “non-overlap” seems to use the identity
thesis inconsistent with mechanism; a,d reductionism is simply false with
Mechanism. The price to pay, which is also the wonderful gift, is that physics
becomes reducible to digital machine theology, which is a subbranch of
arithmetic.

Physicalism is simply refuted when we postulate that the brain/body is Turing
emulable. Consciousness is not attached to any particular computational
history, but on some set of relative histories having some measure implied by
the logic of the observable mode of the universal machine.

The people here are blinded by their belief in some primary physical universe,
but until there is some evidence for this, it is only a useless complication.

Bruno