On Monday, February 4, 2019 at 10:06:45 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 1 Feb 2019, at 19:16, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 9:41:00 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 1 Feb 2019, at 14:52, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Friday, February 1, 2019 at 7:19:00 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

>>> On "where do atoms come from" I guess *any physicist*  you meet today
>>> has as good (or bad) an answer as any, in their way of thinking, anyway.
>>>

>>> They usually assume a primary physical reality. They make the physical
>>> universe into a (non personal god). But that explains nothing, even if very
>>> interesting in physics. Physicists are just NOT meta physicists, except
>>> very bad one the week-end or after retirement.
>>>
>>> An explanation of X must not assume X, or, if it does, the recursion
>>> employed must be entirely justified too.
>>>

>>> On consciousness:
>>>
>>> In a micropsychist* approach, the lowest-level psychical properties
>>> could appear in the form of their own material subatomic entities, like
>>> quarks —  quirks? :) —  in current physical theories. Thus human-level
>>> consciousness is "constituted" from lower-level material entities
>>> possessing lower-level psychical features.
>>>

>>> I don’t see an atom of explanation of consciousness here. That seems
>>> just like a more sophisticated way to hide the problem under the rug of
>>> microphysics, without addressing any of the question raised by the
>>> philosopher of mind or the cognitive scientist. If you dig in that
>>> direction, both matter and consciousness becomes only more obscure.
>>>

>>> *According to constitutive micropsychism, the smallest parts of my brain
>>> have very basic forms of consciousness, and the consciousness of my brain
>>> as a whole is in some sense made up from the consciousness of its parts.
>>> This is the form of panpsychism that suffers most acutely from the
>>> combination problem, which we will explore below. However, if it can be
>>> made sense of, constitutive micropsychism promises an elegant and
>>> parsimonious view of nature, with all the richness of nature accounted for
>>> in terms of facts at the micro-level.*
>>>

>>> I am skeptical this can work, and of course, it is incompatible with
>>> Digital mechanism. This one explains consciousness in the most standard
>>> theological way (Theaetetus), and it explains matter in an entire new way,
>>> as number hallucination, which provable exist in arithmetic (once we bet
>>> the brain is Turing emulable).
>>>
>>> Bruno
>>>

>> In any case, one of the "micropsychists"  has a new paper just out:
>>

>> "According to the *fusion* view ... when micro- or protoconscious
>> entities come together in the right way, they fuse or 'blend' together to
>> form a single unified consciousness. ..."
>>
>> *Is Consciousness Intrinsic? A Problem for the Integrated Information
>> Theory*
>> Hedda Hassel Mørch
>> Journal of Consciousness Studies 26 (1-2):133-162(30) (2019)

> [...]
As I have said, I am language-oriented. What this means is that I say that
science (from that perspective) is a collection of domain-specific
languages - general relativity, particle physics, chemistry, microbiology,
cellular biology, neurobiology, psychology, sociology,  ,... - however one
wants to carve them up (they are all human inventions anyway). The terms
'reduction', 'emergence' are really about how expressions (aka theories) in
one domain language relate to (can compile to, translate to, can be defined
in terms of) another domain language, rather than some teleological, causal
relation.

But languages have semantics, including the "what" they are about. In the
case of an experience processing language, there would be some fundamental
"atoms" or "units" of experientiality, like  ψbits.

- pt