On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 12:30:01 AM UTC-7, Philip Thrift wrote:

> On Wednesday, February 20, 2019 at 1:06:25 AM UTC-6, agrays...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>>

>> On Tuesday, February 19, 2019 at 8:16:51 PM UTC-7, Brent wrote:
>>>

>>> On 2/19/2019 5:10 PM, agrays...@gmail.com wrote:
>>>

>>> *What you wrote makes no sense. It fails to explain why motion occurs in
>>> the absence of force. AG *
>>>

>>> So did Newton: "A body in motion will remain in motion."
>>>

>> *Right, but Newton "explained" why a body at "rest" can start moving, via
>> the application of "force".  What does "rest" mean in GR and what causes
>> "motion" from that pov? Incidentally, when I posed the question of why
>> space and time must be fused in relativity. I didn't know the answer. I
>> came to a partial explanation by posing the question. AG*
>>

> Physics doesn't really explain anything. It only creates expressions in
> different mathematical dialects that we interpret.

*Right. That's why I put the quotes around *explained*. AG *

> https://www.newyorker.com/science/elements/a-different-kind-of-theory-of-everything
>

> In 1964, during a lecture at Cornell University, the physicist Richard
> Feynman articulated a profound mystery about the physical world. He told
> his listeners to imagine two objects, each gravitationally attracted to the
> other. How, he asked, should we predict their movements? Feynman identified
> three approaches, each invoking a different belief about the world. The
> first approach used Newton’s law of gravity, according to which the objects
> exert a pull on each other. The second imagined a gravitational field
> extending through space, which the objects distort. The third applied the
> principle of least action, which holds that each object moves by following
> the path that takes the least energy in the least time. All three
> approaches produced the same, correct prediction. They were three equally
> useful descriptions of how gravity works.

*Except that it's wrong to put Newton's gravity theory on the same level as
Einstein's. Also, I think we can dispense with the Principle of Least
Action and just use the geodesic hypothesis as a postulate of GR.  We could
say that God preferred a unique path, the extremal, rather than having to
choose among an uncountable set of paths for each path between distinct
events in the manifold. AG*