> On 27 May 2019, at 22:27, John Clark <johnkcl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, May 27, 2019 at 2:06 PM Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com
> <mailto:cloudver...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> >> if I discovered a new stable particle that was so numerous that its mass
> >> added up to 5 times the mass of all normal baryonic matter in the universe
> >> then the Dark Matter question would be answered; and if it can be proven
> >> that Einstein's Cosmological Constant exists and exerts a negative
> >> pressure then the Dark Energy question will be answered. But what would
> >> allow you to say the hard question of consciousness has been answered? I
> >> have no idea because the question has not been stated clearly.
>
> > My main point is we don't know what gravity is either.
>
> But we know the general form an answer would take. We already have a theory
> of gravity that successfully explains all observations involving it, if it
> didn't produce ridiculous results at the singularity at the center of a Black
> Hole as General Relativity does we could say the answer to the question "What
> is gravity?" has been as successfully answered as its ever going to be. But
> what general form must the answer to the hard problem of consciousness take?
>
> To put it another way, it will always be hard to find an answer if nobody
> knows what the question is.

You confuse “explanation” and “prediction”. Physics works very well to predict
local happening, but fail to explain why such prediction can last and persist.

As a tool for prediction, none doubt that physics is successful, but it uses an
identity link between 3p and 1p which is inconsistent with Mechanism, and so
materialist have still the obligation of giving a non mechanist theory of mind,
if they want physicalism to be the correct metaphysics/theology.

Bruno