On Wednesday, June 5, 2019 at 8:16:03 AM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 7:56 AM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
>
> *> Even if a completely libertarian system were established, the
>> corporations, banks and those at their top would pretty quickly go about
>> forming a government to provide a platform, a coherent set of laws etc in
>> which they could effectively conduct their commerce. Of course it would be
>> purely plutocratic, which in ways is not terribly different from what we
>> currently have,*
>

> In todays world people have no choice where they get their police
> protection from, they must purchase it from the government through taxes.
> If the police worked for profit making corporations and every person could
> choose which corporation to buy police protection from please explain to me
> how 40 million Germans could murder 6 million Jews.
>
> And Yes there would be disagreements between different police agencies
> following different laws, but I explained in my previous post how that
> could be resolved. Mostly.
>
>  John K Clark

In the 19th century fire departments were private, and this was the case
with some police departments as well. The practice was ended because in the
case of fire departments sometimes the firemen would sit back and watch a
structure burn because they were owned by a non-paying customer, with the
result fires could spread. Private police organizations can easily become
protection rackets. In the case of Germany the Friekorps and related
organizations in the early 1920s were private police-like organizations
that terrorized Jews and nonconformists and which demanded protection
money. The Nazis loved guns and they had their 1920s hunting lodges, so the
myth of the Nazis being similar to liberals who want guns laws is
ludicrous.

For the life of me I do not understand what people find attractive about
libertarianism. I think there are four types of social organizations;
statecraft, warcraft, priestcraft and tradecraft. :Libertarians want to
eliminate statecraft, when there is no historical precedent for that. The
Communists tried to eliminate tradecraft, or capitalism,.as well as
priestcraft. In fact there is no historical precedent of any society that
functions well which eliminates any of these. This is even warcraft, where
while I would love to see John Lennon's *Imagine* take root, I suspect it
can't and there is no historical precedent for a society without at least
some minimum of that. While I do not think there is the sort of
supernatural or magical reality proposed by religion, I also think some
ritual practice surrounding mythic ideas will always exist in human
societies.

LC