On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 7:56:23 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 28 Feb 2020, at 13:05, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com <javascript:>>
> wrote:
>

> On Friday, February 28, 2020 at 2:01:22 AM UTC-6, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>

>> On 27 Feb 2020, at 13:17, Philip Thrift <cloud...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Are the integers, and by extension arithmetic, fictitious? AG
>>>

>> Arithmetic (or algebra, or geometry) is a language (or collection/family
>> of languages to be picky) - expressed formally as a list of axioms and
>> theorems produced from that list of axioms -  so as a* language* it is
>> itself not fiction, just as when you walk into the fiction section of a
>> library, you see books written in English, and English as a language is
>> itself not fictitious.
>>
>> But numbers - the entities or subjects of arithmetic - *are* fictitious.
>>

>> That seems to me to be a confusion between language and theories, and
>> their semantics. You did not comment on my superhero triangle, which
>> illustrates that the arithmetical reality is not fiction.
>>
>> You *can* call that fiction, but then the point will be that the physical
>> reality emerges from that fiction, and the word “fiction” will lose its
>> common meaning, and mislead people. The point is that for all I and j,
>> phi_i(j) converges or does not converges. If it was fiction, we could
>> decide which is the case, but then elementary arithmetic becomes
>> inconsistent.
>>
>> Bruno
>>

> Semantics is very much the thing (the elephant in the room) of
> languages/theory - certainly from the perspective of programming
> *language* theory.
>
> *Real computing is computing voided of Platonism.*
>

> https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2018/09/30/real-computationalism/
>

> Take arithmetic (encoded in the Peano axioms):
>
> *Peano axioms of natural numbers in Agda*
> https://gist.github.com/IKEGAMIDaisuke/1211203
>

> What is its ultimate semantics?
>

> The standard model of arithmetic, which refers to what we have learned in
> school.

So much for the mathematical educational system. It has become an orthodox,
fundamentalist divinity school.

> Nobody can define this, but everybody has a good idea of what it is. Then,
> with Mechanism and Traski theorem, we understand why we cannot define it.
>

> As one sees theorems being proven and produced on the computer screen, it
> is *the result of movement of elections in computer circuits and pixels.*
>

> But this concerns the proof. It is not a semantic. If it is proved in a
> complete theory, like RA or PA or any first order arithmetic, the
> semantical part will means “true in all models of the the theory”. That
> implies “trie in the standard model”, but the reciprocal is not true. In
> fact the standard model (semantic) eludes all effective theories of
> arithmetic.

What is taught in schools though:

*Operational semantics* is a category of formal programming language
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics_(computer_science)>semantics
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantics_(computer_science)> in which
certain desired properties of a program, such as correctness, safety or
security, are verified <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_verification> by
constructing proofs from logical statements about its execution and
procedures, rather than by attaching mathematical meanings to its terms
(denotational
semantics <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denotational_semantics>).

(Wikipedia)

> What is its *semantics in the human brain* of the person watching the
> computer screen of the Agda program "doing its thing" with the Peano axioms
> and proving theorems?
>
> One could leave that answer to neuroscientists about what the human brain
> does with looking at proof of arithmetic on a computer screen (or in a
> printed book for that matter).
>

> Not sure if the neuroscientist will help here.
>

> Only Platonists jump to a belief that there is a ghostly world of abstract
> entities called "numbers" that exists outside of matter (whether that
> matter is your brain or your computer).
>

> We don’t need this either. We need only to believe that 2+3 = 5, or that
> phi_i(j) converges or not converges. The philosophy and metaphysics come
> after.
> If not, it is like studying the working of my brain to convince myself
> that I understand correctly that 2+2=4. That does not work, because my
> brain study is based on my belief that 2+2=4.
> You could aswel say that Einstein’s theory is circular, because you want
> to explain 2+2=4 with Matter, but Einstein’s theory use the numbers, and
> assumes they do what they need to give sense to, say, E= mc^2.
>
> At some point, people have to put *all* the hypothesis on the table, so
> that it is clear what is assumed, and what is derived.
>
> Bruno

That "2_2=4" works in Einstein's theory - and it its numerical relativity
implementations - is a matter of *mathematical pulp fictionalism*.

https://codicalist.wordpress.com/2018/08/26/mathematical-pulp-fictionalism/