> On 27 Feb 2020, at 13:17, Philip Thrift <cloudver...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 6:54:36 PM UTC-6, Alan Grayson wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 1:36:49 PM UTC-7, Brent wrote:
>

> On 2/26/2020 2:48 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
> >>   Being sure of that sentence is true, "Dr Watson was a friend of
> >> Sherlock Holmes." doesn't mean the things named in the sentence exist.
> >
> > It certainly means that Watson and Homes exist, in some sense. The
> > question is “is that sense interesting with respect to our goal of
> > explaining "everything” (matter and consciousness) in a coherent way?
>
> They exist in exactly the same way arithmetic and Turing machines exist.
>
> Brent
>
> Are the integers, and by extension arithmetic, fictitious? AG
>

> Arithmetic (or algebra, or geometry) is a language (or collection/family of
> languages to be picky) - expressed formally as a list of axioms and theorems
> produced from that list of axioms -  so as a language it is itself not
> fiction, just as when you walk into the fiction section of a library, you see
> books written in English, and English as a language is itself not fictitious.
>
> But numbers - the entities or subjects of arithmetic - are fictitious.

That seems to me to be a confusion between language and theories, and their
semantics. You did not comment on my superhero triangle, which illustrates that
the arithmetical reality is not fiction.

You *can* call that fiction, but then the point will be that the physical
reality emerges from that fiction, and the word “fiction” will lose its common
meaning, and mislead people. The point is that for all I and j, phi_i(j)
converges or does not converges. If it was fiction, we could decide which is
the case, but then elementary arithmetic becomes inconsistent.

Bruno