On 5/5/2020 5:05 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 4 May 2020, at 20:47, 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List <everything-list@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list@googlegroups.com>> wrote:

On 5/4/2020 6:27 AM, Quentin Anciaux wrote:

Le lun. 4 mai 2020 à 14:15, Lawrence Crowell <goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com <mailto:goldenfieldquaterni...@gmail.com>> a écrit :

        http://www.scholarpedia.org/article/Field_theories_of_consciousness

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_theories_of_consciousness

        > etc.
        >
        > * or physicalist
        >
        > @philipthrift

        Physicalism is a dead end. The hard problem of consciousness
        and other
        philosophical problems can be considered to be no-go
        theorems against
        physicalism. Abandoning physicalism solves all these
        problems in one
        fell swoop. But that also opens the door to wrong theories
        as people
        engaging with non-physicalist theories can too easily
        advertise their
        pet theories because they don't suffer from all the diseases
        physicalist
        theories suffer from. The bar has to be set higher, I would
        like to see
        a derivation of the laws of physics, not some vague argument
        that it is
        consistent with QM and unitary evolution but a lot more
        detail than just
        that.

Saibal

    I think more likely this mean the hard problem or qualia are
    illusions. I have far more confidence in physics than I do in
    hopeful ideas about qualia, which are psychological form of elan
    vital thought in previous centuries to underlie biology.

Either you have no quale, and then as a zombie... it could mean something (but not to you), or you have, and if a theory cannot account for that, it miss the things it purpose to explain.

When you say "psychological form" you're talking about a quale... I don't see how that could be explained away...

I think the problem here is with the word "explain". Yes, physics will never explain quale.  But physics doesn't explain matter, or gravity, or entropy either. Physics is regarded as successful because it makes good predictions, and that allows manipulation of things.  Look at the controversy over the interpretation of quantum mechanics.  We have drastically different "explanations" of what is happening...which have zero effect on the application or usefulness of the theory.  And that's exactly the same situation with regard to consciousness and qualia.  Chemistry and biology have a lot of of good "explanations" of quale in the sense of being able to predict them and manipulate them.  Sure, it's no where near as deep as physics explanations which reach down to sub-atomic level.  But physics aims for depth and bypasses the complex problems of biology as accidents of evolution, mere geography problems.  There's no reason to suppose that chemistry and molecular biology and study of brain structure

OK.

and AI will not reach the same depth of explanation of consciousness.

Once you invoke AI or mechanism, the deep explanation will have to reduce physics to some mathematics (indeed to G* intensional variant). Or it brings magical ontological commitment just to hide ignorance, and that is bad religion/philosophy.

And it still won't "explain" quale,

Where Mechanism does.

but it will manipulate them and reproduce them in AI and people will forget all about how mysterious they were...just like they have forgotten elan vitale.

Even the AI will not been convinced by this. The élan vitale does not explain one thing.

Right.  And neither does "mechanism".

The qualia are just unavoidable data, which, when we suppose mechanism are easier to explain, and indeed already explains the existence of quanta as first person sharable qualia.

Mechanism explains, in a coherent and testable way, why we feel like if there was a material reality, and a mental reality.

No it doesn't.  You just say it must.  It does not explain why you and I agree on what this sentence says.

Adding a magical primitive matter makes that explanation no more working, so why to add it?

Every time I refer to matter in an explanation, you falsely accuse me of invoking "primitive matter".  I have no concept of "primitive matter".  and I don't even believe in "primitiveness".  I think it is a religious supersitition.

Brent

The goal is not to replaced physics by some better predictive science, except for the afterlife problem, where, with some exception like Tipler, is not part of the physical inquiry, but of metaphysics, and the point is that with mechanism, any Aristotelian theories cannot work.

Physics and Metaphysics are different science. To make them equal *is* the Aristotelian act of faith, and this can work only by invoking non Turing elmulable element in the brain. But there is no evidences for this, and thanks to quantum mechanics, the startling many histories aspect needed for a mechanist theory of the observable is vindicated by the experiments.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/793213e0-89f6-f6fa-bc72-4c3b7608fe34%40verizon.net <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/793213e0-89f6-f6fa-bc72-4c3b7608fe34%40verizon.net?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com <mailto:everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/ED07C8B8-5478-46C5-8398-6A5E56E338A9%40ulb.ac.be <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/ED07C8B8-5478-46C5-8398-6A5E56E338A9%40ulb.ac.be?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.