On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 7:35 AM Bruce Kellett <bhkellet...@gmail.com> wrote:

*>>> So how do you accommodate a situation in which there is a 90% chance
>>> of seeing Moscow and a 10% chance of seeing Helsinki?*

>> answer it the exact same way I did before because you never made an
>> argument against what I said, you just keep asking the same question again.
>> If I know the duplicating machine has made 10 copies of me and that 9 of
>> them are in Helsinki and 1 is in Moscow then then 9 John Clark's will
>> remember seeing Helsinki but only 1 will remember seeing Moscow; so if
>> they place odds after the duplication but before the door was opened and
>> they observe where they are they would all say there was a 90% chance
>> they were in Helsinki, and 90% of them would turn out to be correct
>> and would win their bet.
>>

> *> The trouble is that the duplicating machine makes only one copy, so
> there is one for Moscow and one for Helsinki. There are no multiple copies
> in the original scenario. Changing the nature of the question is not an
> answer.*

Huh?!  The question asked of me was how could I explain a 90% chance of
seeing Moscow and a 10% chance of seeing Helsinki and I have done so. If
only one copy has been made then there would *NOT* be a 90% chance of
seeing Moscow and a 10% chance of seeing Helsinki.

>  > *So I ask again, how do you accommodate a situation in which there is
> a 90% chance of being on one branch and a 10% chance of being on the other
> branch*

And I would answer that question exactly precisely the same way I have
already answered it so many times before and absolutely refused to do again
until somebody points to an objection I haven't already answered a dozen
times before.

*> Changing the number of branches (or duplicates) is fine in a
> general theory, but not in QM. The SE gives only one branch for each
> outcome.*

And moving one hydrogen atom in your big toe (or even the big toe of your
neighbor across the street) one nanometer to the left is a change that will
split a universe if MWI is correct, but that outcome will not make a
difference to your conscious experience, at least not immediately, perhaps
in time it will due to classical chaos but that's irrelevant for this
discussion.

> *> What you are really saying is that the SE is inconsistent with the Born
> rule --  a point I have been making all along.*

We already know mathematically that if you want to get probabilities out of
the wave equation and have all the probabilities add up to exactly 1 and
none of the probabilities have a negative value (and you need those things
for the very concept of probability to make any sense) then the Born rule
is the only way to do it; I think that's why Brent said "*Explaining the
values of the probabilities isn't the problem with MWI, it's explaining
that there **are** probabilities**". *I guess for some reason you disagree
with Brent.

John K Clark    See what's on my new list at  *Extropolis*
zmv